I want to convert a built in dishwasher to be portable

Users who are viewing this thread

flamingo

Reaction score
HI,
I have a brand new built in dishwasher that I won't be able to install permanently in this house. (We're selling the house before the end of the year, my clothes washer is already hooked into the plumbing under the kitchen sink, I don't have room for a 220 line in my electric box.)
I'd like to convert it to a portable one. I have a portable hose hookup from the clothes washer (I'm assumming that it's a pretty generic item and that I can use this same hose for the dishwasher?).
What I really need to know about is the wiring. Can I just buy a cord and plug (similar to the way you do with a stove) and connect it? Will that work?
Thanks for the help,
Amy
BTW, I'm pretty handy around the house. I grew up fixing things with my grandpa.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At least in the US, neither dishwashers nor washing machines are typically 220VAC. I suppose if you had a commercial unit, it could be. Code usually wants the DW on a separate circuit...same with the washing machine. The DWand the WM need a drain. Most sinks are set up with a 1.25 or 1.5" drain line...WM require a 2" and an air gap into the drain line. The DW would at least need to be anchored somehow, otherwise it would tip over when you slide the baskets out to put in or take out the contents. Yes it would work if you attached a cord, but it wouldn't be right. Please rethink what you are trying to do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Dw

You will have to build an enclosure for the dishwasher. And if by portable you mean you want to roll it away between uses, then it will also need castors under it. Whatever you do, it will probably not be a pretty installation, but it is doable. Your "pigtail" for the electric would plug into the receptacle you use for the washing machine.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
Sounds to me like you should return the dishwasher, and actually purchase a properly cased portable one. Way less dodgey.

Your laundry is tied into your kitchen sink drainage?!? Alarm bells are currently sounding...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A DW normally just slides in under a counter. You could build a box with castors that would house the DW, plug it in to any 120 volt outlet, and drain it with a hose into the sink, but not tied into the sink drain. You would need to tap into a hot water line with a flexible hose, so your portability would be limited by the length of hose. This would be at best a Mickey Mouse arrangement, but it would work. I agree with a previous suggestion to sell this and get a real portable or wash the dishes by hand. It's still legal by most codes to do this ;) When you move into your new home, buy a DW for that house. I also have serious concerns about your clothes washer drain for several reasons. A modern washer dumps a huge volume of water very quickly and requires a 2" drain (trapped). It also requires an air gap which is why it can not be connected solidly to a 1-1/2" sink drain as you describe. DWs and clothes washers are always 120 volt but on separate circuits. In reality, you can get by with the DW plugged into a 20 amp circuit as long as that circuit was not heavily used when the DW was operating. Electric clothes dryers are 220 volt, gas dryers require only 120 volt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks