Fixing a cold water leak from bathtub spout

Users who are viewing this thread

RUNEMASTER

Reaction score
I took off the cold water knob and the chrom stem to expose the cylinder.

After removing the cylinder and replacing the washer at its end i re-assembled everything and turned on the main cold water. The leak persists.

Seems I cannot stop this leak.

Any help appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We don't know what brand or model you have, but if it is a typical old stem with a flat rubber washer which you replaced, then you also usually need to replace a metal piece inside called the seat. It is the piece the rubber seals against. The seat unscrews. You need a special tool called a seat wrench; and you will need to take the old one with you to the store for a proper replacement.

RUNEMASTER

Reaction score
Thnaks

No kidding? Wow! Very nice tip. Yes I think it is what you say. I hope the seat will come out with the tool you mentioned, but i cannot see that deep since it is behind the plane of the tiled wall.

Do i need to see the seat to remove it or can I just use the tool by feel?

O I have a seat wrench. Hope It is just a matter of sticking the seat wrench in there and turning. Does the seat just kind of fall out when unscrewed?

.By the way I am a portrait artist always for hire.

Thanks alot .There is hope.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A seat wrench is sort of a weird Allen screw. Instead of being parallel sides, it is tapered. With the stem out, you should be able to see it with a flashlight.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
seat wrench

The inside of the seat will take a square, tapered wrench that you set with a slight tapping action or it will take an Allen wrench.

RUNEMASTER

Reaction score
Rusted Seat

tried to remove the seat, but it was rusted and now I made it worse ( ate it away with seat wrench). What now?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Never heard of a thing like that........
Wrong seat wrench...
Seat should be made of brass and the wrench should be hardened steel.
If that's what you have, and you used an Allen and it wore off the inside of the seat, get a square, tapered wrench and set it by tapping into the seat.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
seat

Seats don't rust, but they have either a square or hexagonal opening in them. If you use the correct wrench it seldom slips. If you use the wrong one it will always slip, and when that happens you could damage the interior broach and make removal difficult. At this stage, your safest course is to call a plumber, because if you do too much damage, you will have to open the wall and replace the entire valve.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You're right HJ, depending on the seat wrench you could drive the seat wrench right through the back side of the casting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks