Stall Shower Drain Problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Richard785

Reaction score
I have a tilled stall shower that has a slight smell coming from the drain. Over the past 10 years when this happens I just snake it and its been fine. The problem is there is some kind of white cement that is inside the drain pipe from the grill to the main pipe and each time I clean the drain more of this white stuff come off, its gritty so it catches hair.

I have two questions what is this white stuff and should I scrape it all off and put more if this on... (I did scrape a little off and noticed some rust on smaller drain pipe)

The shower is upstairs and show no leaking from the ceiling ... the house will build in 1988 so IM pretty sure its all PVC.

Thanks Richard

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It may really be cement. The guy who installed the tile may have used the drain to dump the cleanup water or was really sloppy when using the thinset or drypack. If the pipes are pvc, then you could try to break it loose. Another possibility is if a sanded mastic was used instead of a real cemetaceous (sp?) product. The mastic re emulsifies, gets washed out, and can gradually undermine the tile.

Richard785

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, it looks like this was not a mistake I have chipped most of it off and no leaks...IM just not sure why it was there in the first place. Richard

Prashster

Reaction score
Are you sure it's not mineral build up? Do you have very hard water?

Richard785

Reaction score
Its sandy...I don't think this is hard water build up.

I would like to chip it all out but Im afraid it might be someone's quick fix for a leak. IF I remove all of it is there something else I can put down there to seal any small cracks.....

Thanks
Richard

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks