Size of the well filter?

Users who are viewing this thread

linedog

Reaction score
A friend of mine was asking what size in microns would be good to use on a well as a filter? I don't have a well but I told him I know of a place I can ask and get the best answers. What's a good filter to use? Thanks.
Chris.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What do you want to filter out?

The first question to ask is: What is in the water that you want to filter out?

If there is anything in the water that you can see, then there is usally a continuum of particle sizes from 100 microns down to less than 1 micron. One millimeter = 1000 microns.

Any sand larger than 50 to 100 microns will usually settle out in the well below the pump inlet.

Anything less than about 50 microns is pretty hard to see.

A good quality granular back-washable filter without chemical pretreatment or other additives like diatomaceous earth will take out most everything down to 50 microns, quite a lot down to 20 microns, and some down to 5 microns.

A typical string-wound cartridge will usually do a little better. But don't rely on the micron ratings on the filter box. I have tested "1 micron" advertised cartridges that passed 90% of 5 micron particles.

A very good string-wound cartridge will take out about 97% of 5 micron particles.

A very good pleated cartridge, such as the Harmsco Poly-Pleat rated at 1 micron absolute, will take out more than 99% of 1 micron particles (they say 99.9%), and just about everything larger than that.

Cartridge filters have a lower initial cost that backwashable filters. You can install one yourself for about $100 including pressure gauges and valves. Cartridges will probably cost about $60 per year if you use it for all household uses.

If you install a cartridge filter, it must be big enough to carry the flow without excessive pressure loss. The minimum that I would consider for "whole house" use is one "Big Blue" size 4.5" diameter, 20" long cartridge; or two standard diameter, 20" long cartridges in parallel.

You will see other replies from the advocates of the granular filters.

But before you put in a filter, answer the first question at the top of this reply.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
IMO there is no sense to filter invisible dirt, with whatever type of filter. IMO it's a waste of money time and effort especially when invisible dirt build up is no problem and usually only builds up in the unused water in the bottom of a toilet tank.

So why bother filtering it when it does not cause a problem?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks