Converting electric to hand pump

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidL

Reaction score
Wish me luck Im getting up the nerve to attempt to disassemble it tomorrow. I did notice on the plate the pump was made by Sears.

Speedbump

Reaction score
No, it was sold by Sears, made by Sta-Rite. Sears just makes some changes so the important items won't fit the real Sta-Rite brand. Dirty trick, but that's how it's done.

bob...

DavidL

Reaction score
I removed the 2 3/4 in bolts holding the motor but cant seem to lift the motor off. What is my obsticle here? I looked below the casing housing and see 4 bolts going up into it what do they hold and should they be avoided?
thanks david

Speedbump

Reaction score
Just give the motor a hard bump in any direction and you will break the gasket loose that is now glued to the cast surfaces. The gasket is the only thing holding the pump there now.

bob...

DavidL

Reaction score
I was able to wedge a screw driver in and then a small crowbar. but the shaft of the motor is the only thing that wont separate. Just to be sure let me describe where Im separating it. As you look at the pump from my pics there are openings that expose the motor shaft where the motor shaft goes into the casing.Is the end of the motor shaft a gear that interlocks with a turbing? I took off the regulator port to see if I could see the turbine but no luck. I just dont know what would be holding this motor in place. the motor itself I can rotate around but the shaft is being held tight to something. I used a BFH to wedge the crowbar in hoping that would help but no good.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Those bolts would have 9/16" heads and there would have been four of them not two. You can't remove the motor without disassembling the pump which is still above where I described the 3/4" (2) bolts are.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
It may be too late for the pump motor if you have been hammering on the motor. The shaft can easily be bent and the shaft seal is almost certainly ruined. There are two impellers slid up on that shaft sitting on keyways and both are held on by a 3/4" head nut on the bottom of the motor shaft. That's why the motor won't come off. If you bent the shaft which is about 6-7" long, you are out several hundred dollars for a new motor. That pump uses a motor that no other pump in the world uses. So the price is high.

You need to go down to the bottom of the pump (by standing on your head) to see the two bolts I am talking about.

I may have steered you wrong on the number of bolts holding the motor to the seal plate, (where you took them out) there may be only two. I just can't remember for sure.

bob...

Speedbump

Reaction score
I should have done this a long time ago. Here is a breakdown of the Sta-Rite MSE. It is not exactly like the Sears version, but the innerds are the same.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks