(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: converting electric to hand pump

Hybrid View

Default converting electric to hand pump

I have an old electric well pump in the back yard. Years ago when city water was installed the lines were bypassed. Ive never seen the pump work and the change over occurred yrs ago before I bought the home. I want to remove the old electric pump and install a hand pump (Spring water around here is fantastic and the hand pump would be a novelty). The pump mechanism is set vertically over the top of the well pipe. Can I disconnect the pump safely and check the water level without loosing the piping into the well itself, this is my biggest concern? Does the piping into the well rest on the bottom of the well or is it suspended by the pump? There still is power going to the pump, few yrs ago I tried to prime the lines but was unable to: cant say whether it was me or the pump. Since then I turned the breaker to the pump off but now want to put a hand pump on. Is it possible?
    thanks for the help.

Previous member

If there are two pipes between the pump and the well, you have a deep well jet pump and there is a jet in the well hanging on galvanized pipe. They are extremely hard to pull out. If you only have one pipe, it is a shallow well system and may or may not have pipe in the well. If it does, it is not that hard to pull, then you can measure the water level.

This is a description of the deep well jet pump. Deep well jet system.
    bob...

Default pump

The water level would have to be within 25' of the pump mechanism to have any hope of a hand pump giving any water, and the closer it gets to that level the less water and the harder you will have to pump, unless you get a well with the mechanism in the well and "sucker" rods operating it.

I believe there is only one line. I live in Ocala Florida about 1mile from Silver Springs which is this natural Spring Park with gizers (sp?) of water bubbling up all the time. I think Im problably on top of that aquifer. Knowing this I have to believe its very shallow but until I take the pump off of the well pipe I wont know.
    So If I unscrew the pump I wont cause a chain reaction of things falling into the pump hole????
    Is the pipe that goes to the bottom clamped to the pump or pressure fit?
    thanks again

Previous member

Maybe you had better explain just what this system looks like. I don't know how you would unscrew a pump. But if you think that is possible, a second look might be in order.

bob...

Okay I had a moment to really examine it. Coming out of the ground is a 2.5 or 3 inch pipe. This pipe goes up about 5 inches to a housing unit that appears to have the exit pipe for the water that comes out of the well, this pipe travels to the reserve tank. Above this housing apparatus is the electric pump itself. I hope this discription helps. There is only one pipe as I mentioned going into the ground and its about 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter. Where should I disconnect safely? Is there a larger pipe burried below the ground surface? I ask this b/c I thought well pipes were 6 inches wide. But Im guessing on that thought.