Shower Fixture Installation Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Hello, I am installing a shower fixture and I’m trying to ensure I do it properly. Below is a picture. I need to bring the fixture out a bit to accommodate a change in the shower base dimensions. There are galvanized supply pipes coming from the ceiling. I’m attaching a dielectric union and then two or three 90 degree street elbows, a small copper piece and then a male adapter which attaches to the fixture. I’m applying wood glue…J/k! solder of course. My concerns are too many twist and turns. I guess I can just take the second street elbow out and make it a horizontal piece. I’m also unsure if soldering street elbows is adequate as they seem to have a looser connection as compared to say a street elbow connected to a regular piece of copper pipe. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I also posted this w/ a poor title on the shower forum. I apologize to the moderator/forum and will not double post in future.

Attachments

• IMG_3458a.jpg
    IMG_3458a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 351

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with what you are doing . If you are too concerned with too many turns use a 45 out of the diaeletric then a 90 into your valve. Don't worry about the fit of the st 90,,,they're just like that,,,a little loose.
Cal

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joint

Why not just use a straight piece of copper down out of the dielectric, (it will also make you life easier when you solder to the dielectric so you don't melt everything since you will be able to solder it without the nut or insulator in place), then a regular elbow facing out and a steet elbow into it?

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Cal, It's nice to know that too many twist and turns isn't really a problem and that you can just put together your "puzzle" pretty much the way you want. Thanks!

HJ, I took apart the dielectric union and that soldering issue would have created another question for me and I definitely will take it apart and solder w/ out the nuts and w/ a straight piece. Thanks as well!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks