DWV Question Concrete Floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Hello, I have a DWV question regarding a shower base on a concrete floor. It is a 2 inch pipe opening which will be sealed in the shower base. However, the 2 inch pipe does not fit that snugly at the top lip (top Flat section) of the cast iron pipe. I tried a 2 inch hub but that was too thick. I was thinking some kind of sealant here. In addition, the 2 inch pipe will be resting down on the bottom and a seal there is not guaranteed as well. My concern is if ever there is a back up it would make it through these unsealed areas and into the concrete. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Fun Stuff!

Attachments

• IMG_3463.jpg
    IMG_3463.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 310

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
shower drain

Need a 2" nipple cut off just below the strainer in the drain fitting. And if there is a lot of slop, screw a 2" coupling in the end of the nipple and then get some oakum pour a 2" lead joint.

That's what I would do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

It is difficult to determine exactly what you have there, but the one thing you will have to do is remove some concrete so the new strainer in the base will set down into it. I do not think there is any way to make that pipe longer so you may have to break the concrete so you can remove that riser and install one that will insert through the strainer. Once that is done you can make the proper seal. Without a proper seal the drain will leak even if it does not back up.

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Plumber 1 – Are you defining the drain fitting at the bottom of the drain (where planned 2†pvc pipe would end) or the top lip? I assume the top lip. So the nipple cutoff enters the iron drain? I’m assuming this is a Male unthreaded nipple and the 2†pvc pipe could enter it? I assume the nipple cutoff slightly reduce the size of the 2†drain? The 2†lead joint – Can I use some kind of sealer between the 2†pvc pipe and the top of the iron base? Again, I’m afraid of any backup ever that would rise and make its way between the 2†pipe and the top of the iron lip as again it isn’t perfectly snug; I’d say a couple millimeters of play. And again the pvc would be sitting on the drain pipe at the bottom and probably will not be perfectly sealed. I wonder if I could put some liquid seal/cement at the bottom to seal the pvc and the iron at both places. Anyway, thanks for your help! I’ve attached a sketch below of my current situation.

HJ – The concrete is broken away and there is room for the shower base drain as pictured. I intend on putting 2†pvc into the iron drain. Thanks. I’ve attached a sketch below of my current situation.

Attachments

• DWV Shower.jpg
    DWV Shower.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 284
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks