All Elbows

Users who are viewing this thread

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Hello, I am installing a shower fixture and I’m trying to ensure I do it properly. Below is a picture. I need to bring the fixture out a bit to accommodate a change in the shower base dimensions. There are galvanized supply pipes coming from the ceiling. I’m attaching a dielectric union and then two or three 90 degree street elbows, a small copper piece and then a male adapter which attaches to the fixture. I’m applying wood glue… :eek: solder of course. My concerns are too many twist and turns. I guess I can just take the second street elbow out and make it a horizontal piece. I’m also unsure if soldering street elbows is adequate as they seem to have a looser connection as compared to say a street elbow connected to a regular piece of copper pipe. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3458a.jpg
    IMG_3458a.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 533

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
That will work out fine. The way I'd do it however would be to cut a piece of copper the correct length for the drop, turn a 90 onto a street 45 (or 45 if need be) then cut a piece of copper for the horizontal between the 45 and the male adapter. This will eliminate one 90 and replace another with a 45.

The one thing I would be concerned about would be access to the dielectric unions. If these are going to be in a wall you'll need some way of getting to them to service in the future.

There is no problem with soldering street fittings. It is done thousands of times a day without incident.

Amatuer123

Reaction score
RioHyde, thanks a bunch! I'm learning you can be a little creative w/ this stuff which is great. I'll probably make an access panel on the wall behind the fixture. Why would the dielectric union need to be serviced? Threading weakness, etc.?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
access

PRobably never, but it does have a rubber gasket that could deteriorate, and even though it is a "dielectric" union, it could still fail, or rust, because of electrolysis. They are more decorative than functional.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
HJ,

EXACTLY! I have a few members on my crew who swear by dielectic unions. However I've had to replace far too many of them due to corrosion/rust to have any faith at all that they'll last forever.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks