Sputtering and pressure drops

Users who are viewing this thread

nickyg

Reaction score
My second story master bath sink has problems. We have a submerged well that pumps to a small bladder pressure tank in the basement. None of the other sinks and fixtures in the house sputter, but the master bath sink sputters air everytime you turn it on??? Also the general pressure in the house is cyclical. Up and down.. Up and down...

Are the ups and downs just a result of the pressure tank? Because the pressure in the tank is constantly changing does that mean the pressure out of the fixtures will constantly change. Is there no way around this?? Would it improve with the purchase of a larger tank. My pump cycles quite often!!

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The size of the tank will determine how often the pump needs to turn on. Note that the size of the tank should be big enough so that they pump can rest a minute or so between turning on. The size of the tank is often rated as the volume it can hold if it were to be fully filled - this never should happen, since there should be air in the bladder and that keeps the tank from fully filling. The actual amount of water stored in a bladder tank is MUCH less than the maximum volume.

It is normal for the pressure to vary between the point where the pump turns on and when it turns off.

If the tank does not have enough air pressure in it, or the bladder is shot, then the pump will have to turn on every time you open a faucet.

turn off the pump. Open a faucet, let it run until there is no more water coming out. This is the amount stored under pressure in your tank. Now, using a tire pressure gauge, check the pressure on your tank. Note, if water comes out of the Schrader valve (the same as on a tire), then the tank probably needs to be replaced. If your pressure switch is set for say 40/60, then the pressure should be 1-2 pounds less than the lower number; in this case, 38-39. If the tank won't hold pressure, it is also probably bad.

Pumpman

Pump Sales
Reaction score
Actually, the pressure tank should be sized so that the pump gets a long enough run time that the motor windings cool off before the pump shuts off.
The windings get very hot on startup.
Most manufacturers I deal with recommend that the pump should run from 1 to 2 minutes per cycle. I size a pressure tank by figuring out what the pump capacity is and then using a tank that has about the same drawdown as the pump capacity. Drawdown is the amount of usuable water the tank expels between pumping cycles. If I have a pump that pumps 20 gpm, I'll install a tank that has about a 26 gallon drawdown. That way I know the pump will run at least one minute plus.
Ron

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the sputtering, but if you want inexpensive constant,pressure, you can try the Smart Tee.

Either way, if that pressure is going up and down fast enough that you notice it, your tank is either too small or waterlogged.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks