(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing shower faucet help

Default Changing shower faucet help

Hi, I've got a 22-year-old Moen Chateau shower valve. My guess is that if I want to install a new faucet set, I'd have to open up the wall, cut out the old valve, and solder in a new one. Is there any way to avoid all of that?

Also, how do you change the tub spout? What's involved?

It would be a big help if I knew the exact model number of the Moen, but I don't see any numbers, and Moen has made a TON of shower sets with the Chateau name. To me, it looks similar to the 2353 model, but I doubt it has the Posi-temp control, as it is over 20 years old. Do they put model numbers on the back of the escrutcheon plate or somewhere else? The front of the escrutcheon says "Standyne" or "tandyne," but that means nothing to me.

Another option for me may be to change the escrutchen plate, handle, and cartridge. I'd also like to change put in a new spout, which I imagine might not require soldering. I'm not good at soldering and don't have the money to pay a pro (too many projects going on right now).

By the way, are you supposed to caulk around the spout and escutcheon plate? The previous owner did, but I'm not sure it's required.

Thanks for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by jumpyg; 03-10-2006 at 09:04 AM.

Stanadyne was a brand that Moen valves were sold under. The parts, including the escutcheon plate, are standard Chateau parts. You can replace the plate and handles with identical. At one time, Moen was offereing some escutcheons and handles in the Monticello style and finish options which fit the Chateau valve. I don't know if these are still available.

The basic Chateau parts are commonly available in chrome, PB, and BN.

The tub spout probably unscrew. Check the bottom near the wall to see if there is a set screw.

Default trim

Any Moen trim that has the two screw holes at the bottom and is not for a Positemp valve will work.

Last edited by Terry; 05-20-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I found a trim kit that includes the escutcheon plate and faucet handle at Lowes. The spout had the set screw in the bottom that I loosened with an alan wrench and was able to remove it. I'm also going to replace the trip lever and drain cover, so everything will be new.

How about caulk? Is that required or suggested around the escutcheon plate, spout, or trip lever/overflow? The excutcheon has a rubber gasket, so I imagine caulk isn't needed there. The spout I bought doesn't have that, though.

Default Older Moen Chateau

Hi - I''ve got the really old Chateau where you change from shower to tub with a pull valve right under the main control knob. Any idea where I can get this part and it's number? Many thanks! Chris

Default Moen

It should be a push stem and any good supply store will have the Moen diverter "button" that you screw into the valve after removing the old one.