Attach faucet directly to granite counter?

Users who are viewing this thread

chrisd

Reaction score
I have what I'm sure is a basic question, but I haven't been able to find a reference in previous posts.

My single-hole faucet has become loose underneath my granite counter. Apparently, water has been getting in through the hole the past year and has left the wood underneath (plywood?) rotted and nasty and probably contracted.

When I mentioned it to a friend that was over, he suggested drilling a hole into the wood about a half inch larger than the faucet. He said that attaching the faucet to the granite was the way to go and that the guy who installed it was probably lazy.

So are all properly-installed faucets tightened directly to the granite? Are there any things I should watch out for, like over-tightening?

Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I prefer mounting the faucets to granite, and not to the wood.

Wood compresses.

It would be nice, if whoever is cutting the faucet holes in the granite, also precut the wood a bit bigger for the plumber.

It's hard to tell someone how tight to put things.

It's a feel thing.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This is a very common "trouble" area. For some reason, the kitchen design contractor and the granite people like to keep their head in the sand, or some where else I won't mention, and bring in someone at the last minute to install a faucet and have not given any previous consideration to the install issues such as you mentioned.

The even worse situation is the homeowner who is buying fixtures on his own. He spends a fortune on a nice marble or granite kitchen or lav. Then goes to HD the night before he has someone coming in to install the faucet. He buys one off the shelf, not realizing that he really needed to order a long shank model, with 4 weeks lead time. Then doesn't understand why the plumber can't install his little beauty!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Jimbo is right,
You can get the long shank models, or even extensions for some faucets.

Most extensions arrive in a few days.
But yes, it's another trip for the plumber, and time for the phone call as well.
Did I say "TIME"?

It all adds up.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
wondering why there would be plywood under granite. if this is a kitchen then the granite should have been installed directly on the cabinets. if you have a blind corner then bracing is used to support the counter. unless this is granite tile?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could be 2mm slab or tile...then you might want/need plywood underneath.

chrisd

Reaction score
Thanks Terry for the advice - I will drill a hole then into the wood.

On a related note, I've narrowed my choice of a new kitchen faucet down to Grohe and Hansgrohe.

I'm aware of Grohe's sterling reputation, but just how much better - in dollars - is Grohe compared to Hansgrohe. For example, if I'm spending $200 for a Hansgrohe, is a Grohe worth another $100? $200?

Also, I'm strongly considering buying a faucet off E-b a y. But because the warranties for both companies require a receipt, I don't think I'll be eligible to use it if the need ever comes up. Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the frequency of repair for either brand and the likelihood I'll have to use a warranty in the future?

Thank you for your help.

chrisd

Reaction score
jadnashua said:
It could be 2mm slab or tile...then you might want/need plywood underneath.

Not sure of the thickness, but I just thought plywood was needed for a level surface and additional support . Wish I knew better, but kinda clueless when it comes to this stuff.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
I See More Trouble

The existing hole gives you no pilot for a hole saw to stay centered on!

a plywood temp needs to be used to stay centered in the existing hole.

hope you have the skill to do a clean job. good luck

chrisd

Reaction score
toolaholic,
You mean I should place another piece of plywood under or over the hole to create a pilot hole?

Toolaholic

Reaction score
Yes

you can't secure from the finished top with screws,so underneath is your option, CAREFULLY ,using a narrow peice of plywood,screw it in place through the existing ply. a couple of inches past each side. frim above . carefully drill an 1/8" center hole in the ply. now using a hole saw drill an over size holethrough the template and under counter ply. not easy access
good luck tool

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

You use one hole saw the size of the existing hole and then fasten it to the saw's mandrel, as a guide, inside the one for the new hole. The mandrel will have the instructions how to do it.

chrisd

Reaction score
hj said:
You use one hole saw the size of the existing hole and then fasten it to the saw's mandrel, as a guide, inside the one for the new hole. The mandrel will have the instructions how to do it.

I don't understand this statement - I put the smaller saw inside the larger one, or the hole? Could you clarify please?

And anyone with an opinion in regards to Grohe faucets and frequency of repairs?

Toolaholic

Reaction score
HJ,HOW does the double cutters attach to the mandrel?

I MUST HAVE 5 morse ones with a male thread and pin lock. vagely ,i seem to remember seeing this somewhere. the inside cutter would have to be longer to pilot ,i believe.

on GROHE faucets , i believe the problems of slow flow come from the 2 filters on the feed ends blocking from minute debrea . i also had a friend ask me about reduced flow on theirs. Am a carpenter plumber ,and don't have the experiance of many knowegeable folks here.
Thank's in advance for answers Tool :)

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
hj said:

Ooooo ... I love that solution!

I could have used it yesterday as well as a week ago. Sigh.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Almost all faucets have screens on their inputs to block crud from getting to their insides. The crud, rust, sand, or who knows what, can ruin the cartridge. To prevent that from happening, they use the coarse filter screens on the input. You shouldn't have any stuff large enough to clog the screens running in your pipes, but if you do, it is better to block it so you don't ruin the cartridge. The screens can be cleaned...for free except for a little time, if and when it happens. The cartridge is not cheap, but may not be exorbitantly expensive, either depending on the brand. So, if the flow gets slow, clean the screens. Then figure out why they are getting clogged so it doesn't happen again.

You car won't run if the fuel filter gets clogged either...should you remove the filter to try to get another few miles out of it as the injectors get clogged one by one?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks