Pressure assist toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

Bammina

Reaction score
I have three big sons... so I am looking into a pressure assist toilet (I think Crane was one we looked at) for their bathroom.

I have a (perhaps silly) question that I can't find an FAQ answer to.

Is there any risk to plumbing at all from Pressure assist toilets? supply or waste (PVC)? If they have failure to any of their components?

Thanks in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pressure assist does not ensure a good flush. The overall design of the toilet is much more important. A well-designed gravity flush toilet will be much cheaper to repair when the time comes, too. It will happen faster on a pressure assist - seals need to work harder on a pressure assist, and it just doesn't work if they fail. Check out the home page here for independent toilet performance tests. It is an eye-opener. But, to your question on the drain lines...they should be fine for any type of toilet you choose. Read some of the comments here on various toilets to get some real-time real users' thoughts.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
JD pretty much said it.

I will also say that there isn't much difference to the drain line.
They are supposed to handle whatever is put down them.

Bammina

Reaction score
Any Recs

O.K. After reading these posts, I am not yet sold on the pressure assist technology. My Uncle loves his CRANE model and swears by it, but its only 2-3 yrs. old.

FOLLOWUP question-- what toilet would be the best consider the...uh...size /mass of waste... and desired cleanliness? I've read on the boards the ToTo seems to be King, but finding one locally (heck semi-regionally) has proven to be quite the task. I'm hesitant to buy via sight-unseen shipment also.

I saw a Crane SUREFLUSH (flapperless?) and a variety of Kohlers. I was hoping to not spend over 200$ if at all possible.

Bammina

Reaction score
Oooh...wait...

I should clarify "big."

I mean like 6'5", and 230 lbs... more like a linebacker than obese.
And by the "mass of their product," I mean...well...um...pooh.
There seems to be occasional plunging and fairly frequent bowl "kling-ons."

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Flushometer toilets have been in use practically forever in commercial buildings. They flush with more pressure than any gravity assist and there have never been any issues.

Some follks thought the pressure assist toilets would "blow out" the wax rings. These models have been around long enough that this idea is completely debunked as far as I am concerned.

I have had a Mansfield Quantum since 1992, and would not change it. We love it.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I put in a Crane Economizer with a Sloan Flushmate pressure-assisted mechanism about 5-6 years ago. Have never had a clog, despite giving it many challenges...

It does, however, take a 2nd flush from time to time, since the flush is so aggressive that it breaks up the waste and sometimes leaves some behind on the 1st flush.

Bowl wash is also quite good.

I have had no maintenance problems with the Flushmate (yet).

BTW, I'm 6'8", 285...

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
Been there, done that when I was 18. Age progression has allowed me to not hit door headers and hydraulic door closers NO MO

Losing inches up top, down below and heading straight out! (stomach) :D :( :eek:

I hear you! I've started the outward expansion (but haven't lost much vertical dimension yet) - ouch!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I was 39 I went to a "special" chiropractor, and after one adjustment, I got taller.

I gained 3/4" that year. Most people at that age had gotten shorter, I got taller.

When my brother was loosing height, down a couple inches from his original 6-3, I sent him in and he got his original height back.

Your height might still be there, it may need to be coaxed back though.

booster

Reaction score
We are a year into a Gerber Ultraflush with a Flushmate pressure setup. We have never had to double flush anything, and it has been heavily "tested". The bigger water spot than the gravity toilets is a definite plus for us, as it stays very clean. I think all Flushmates carry a 10 year warranty now, so that should help ease concerns of expensive upkeep.

gerber_21302_1.jpg

Gerber 21-302 with the Flushmate 1.6 gallon tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks