Can a shower door open into the shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Andy Ring

Reaction score
I have a small bathroom (8' x 5') and plan on making a 30" x 48" shower enclosure with a 24" wide frameless tempered glass door. Given the layout and size of the room, it would be way more convenient if the door opened into the shower enclosure, but every example I've seen has the shower door open out into the room. Is this code? Is there a good reason? Opening in also has the advantage that when the door is in the open position, it will drip dry into the shower rather than onto the bathroom floor.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Andy,

The door you describe will open either way (free swinging). From a safety standpoint I would not (never) limit it to only opening inward. Should someone become dissabled and fall there may be no way to get to them if the door only opens inward.

I have one of those doors on my shower. They make a great appearance, though not low priced!

Paul

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
door

The door absolutely cannot open inward regardless of any benefits to doing so. In the event of an accident the person might block the door and could not be helped. Second, if someone were to fall against the door it could shatter, rather than just swinging open if it were arranged to open outward. And if you remember the Lucy episode, she and Ethel almost drowned because the door swung inward and they could not open it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks