Well Testing

Users who are viewing this thread

Budster

Reaction score
What is the proper way to flow test a well? My in-laws are refinancing and their bank is requiring a flow test on their well. They just had the jet pump and all of the lines replaced last fall. During the servicing the depth of the well was not checked but the end of the line was down 125 feet and it had a good 80 feet of water above it. Now their plumber is saying he has to re-dig up the well, disconnect the pump and pull all of the lines to do a proper flow test. Shouldn't this have been done when the well was serviced?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do It Yourself Flow Test

"Their plumber?" Sounds like you are getting hosed.

First, find out what the bank requirements are. What do you have to prove? Gallons per day? Gallons per minute for how many hours? Find the minimum flow that will satisfy them. You don't really need to know what the well will do if it has more capacity than required.

When you get the requirements, here is a do-it-yourself flow test.

1. Connect a garden hose to your system at some convenient place.
2. Turn off all water uses in the house.
3. Open the faucet to the hose until the pump comes on.
4. Adjust the faucet until the hose flow balances pump capacity, which you will know when the pump manages to hold a constant pressure between on and off pressure switch settings.
5. Measure the gallons per minute (water meter (best); or a bucket and a watch with a sweep second hand) and let it pump until you meet the requirements. You may have to shut it off from time to time if the pump capacity exceeds the well capacity.
6. Keep track of the time that it is pumping. You could connect an old 115 Volt electric clock to the circuit to record the time.

Another way is to let the pump cycle on and off, and determine the amount of water per minute or hour of actual pump running time. Then put a clock on the pump and run enough water to show that you meet their requirements.

A water meter can be had for about $50 from USA BlueBook (Phone 800-548-1234; Stock number 62276, $31 + shipping and they accept credit cards).

Budster

Reaction score
Thanks Bob. This is what I suspected. I'd be interested in getting feedback from others as well, Thanks again.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I fully agree, your getting the wrong info.

If you have your pump in a place where you can just cut the mail line feeding the tank and then pipe to a 5 gallon bucket, you can simply measure the time required to fill the bucket. That will tell how much the pump is getting. This should be done after the pump has ran for at least 10 minutes to give the pump and well time to equalize. Once the pressure gauge shows a steady pressure, do the test. This will be the actual amount of water the jet pump can get from the well.

Then get a mop to clean up the basement.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks