(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Poly pipe

Default Poly pipe

I bought 1 1/4 poly pipe for my project and would like to know the best way to get a good seal on the barbed fittings. I heated the pipe enough to insert the fitting and put 2 ss clamps on each side of the fitting. Do I need to heat the pipe after the clamps are installed and sorta mold the pipe onto the barbs? Or is it good with just the double clamps on the barb? Also a few of the clamps "striped out" while I was tightening them so I replaced them with new clamps an trashed the striped ones. I didn't think I used too much torque on them although I was using a ratchet instead of a screwdriver. Are some of the stainless clamps weaker than others? Thanks, Kdog

That should do it. Apply pressure and check. You will know soon enough.

Excessive heating of the end of the PE can and will damage it. Warm water and a hair dryer on low are the only two 'approved' means of heating. All you need is about 70-80f or a bit more.

The clamps are supposed to be torqued to a specific inch lb. Any more than the max torque and you damage the clamps and probably deform the PE on the barbed fitting. Most any place that sells the clamps will have a hex head tee handle ratchet torque wrench.

The primary cause of failure of any plumbing material is not reading and then following the instructions.... and damaged joints that don't leak today may blow off 3 years from now; so it pays to do it right while preventing operator error.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

Thanks for all your advice! I will go back and fix what I did wrong.
    Kdog