Breather Pipe Plugged

Users who are viewing this thread

erthwrks89

Reaction score
The daughters bought a restaraunt and lounge. We are getting a bad smell in the bar area coming from the drains . Went on the roof and could see leaves about 18" down the pipe. Got a broom handle and shoved it down there , they are in there tight I could not budge them . So I don't know if this thing is full all the way down ,or some branch got down there and is holding the whole mess up. The building is in a heavy woods. And since all the drain pipe in the bar where completely rotted away, this breather could have been plugged for 20 years. Thanks Bill

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like you possibly have a birds nest in the vent. You are most likely going to need to call out a plumber to auger it out. In addition, you said the drains were rotted away in the bar. You need to be sure that a) all the traps are filled with water to block sewer gas from escaping into the building and/or b) if the drainage piping hasnt been repaired yet, you need to block off any open piping with rags, duct tape, etc. Additionally, drains in bars are the foulest smelling things my nose has run across if not properly maintained(speaking only for myself of course....I'd rather smell a septic tank than a bar drain). The vent doesnt eliminate sewer gases, but provides air into the system. Hope this helps you out and good luck to your daughters in their business venture.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
You might be able to clear the vent stack pipe on the roof with a rented heavy-duty plumber's snake and a water hose sprayer. The plumber's snake should reach all the way down to the main drain, after you break up the blockage, then flush it all down with the water hose.
You need to replace the sink drains first. I would go with PVC white plastic sink drain assemblies for this. They're made to just hand-tighten.
If you have a lot of leaves, etc. above that stack, I would put some type of hood above it to block falling leaves and debris, and to discourage birdnests.
Good Luck!
Mike

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
my 5 cents

If you have tree branches too close to the roof and building ,cut them back

they abrade roof and keep wood wet in winter causing rot.

mesh on vents a great idea

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Call a plumber and have the systen looked at. I'm sure this is not the only problem spot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks