(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Kitchen sink remodel

Default Kitchen sink remodel

I'm installing a new kitchen sink and granite counter. I don't like the way an air gap looks, so I've been leaning towards using a high loop to connect to the disposal. I'm not sure this is my best option, though, because my plumbing connections include separate drains for the sink, disposal AND dishwasher. So if I connected the diswasher to the disposal, wouldn't be using one of the available drains.

My question: What's the optimal way to hookup sink, dishwasher, and disposal if I have three drains available, and I don't want an above counter air gap?

First question is ...does your code allow you to NOT use the air gap? If so, and you have 3 traps, then you will have to find a fitting to connect that hose to; since it usually connects to a wye or to the disposal, I haven't seen a fitting for this, but the supply house will help you out.

Default air gap

You have two choices; Use the extra drain and install the air gap, or eliminate the air gap and connect to the disposer. You cannot use the extra drain without the air gap, even if you loop the hose up to the countertop.