Tub choice - Sterling Vakrell or Lasco 2603-2p

Users who are viewing this thread

jammin

Reaction score
I am replacing an old fiberglass tub/shower with a new unit. I am trying to decide what my best choice would be! I was looking at the Sterling Acclaim, Lasco 2603-trio 9don't like seem on back wall, but they don't have a 3-piece surround), or Lasco 2603-2p (but I don't know if I can swing this into the bathroom). Is the fiberglass a better choice or the vikrell? How do the Vikrell units hold up? Can they be repaired? Can a grab bar be added to the Acclaim unit? How long has the vikrell units been in existence? I had tried 2 different Maax Aker TS4 units that both had defects. I am trying to stay away from them. I liked the construction of the Diamond units, but they are not very deep. help soon! Need to comlete this weekend! Thanks, Bob

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I like Sterling. I realy like there interlocking surround system with no caulked seems.

jammin

Reaction score
No caulk

Are these truely no caulk, or are you better off caulking anyway? Does it help at all?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You don't caulk a no caulk system, theirs(sterling) works, never had a problem with them.

Last edited:

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
caluk the sterling

I dont care what the boxes say about either unit
and the sterling is the better one..

its really best to err in the side of caution
and caulk the hell ot fo them

especially with the sterling units......

If you dont lay a heavy bead of dap or some sort of siliconized caulk into ALL
the places they snap together you end up with a sort of a
"mildew trench" along the bottom whereh some water will collect over time

eventually on the STERLING units the water works its way to
the front of the tub where they snap together and leaches out into the drywall at that seam...

its best to caulk them while they are being installed and then
its best to lay a finish bead of caluk over the seams when the job is done
and I literally mean all the seams...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly I would rather clean a grove than cut out and replace silicone on a plastic tub. Nothing is perfect.

I haven't had any customers inform me of any leaks, yet. I have quite a few in for quite a few years.

Because of the way is is designed if it is caulked and the caulk fails you could get water trapped behind the caulk and in my NSHO (not so humble opinion) :) this could be much worse mold and mildew wize.

jammin

Reaction score
Help - suggestions

My progress has been slow this weekend - did not complete this weekend. Will work on through the week! I have lined up the location of the water valve, spout and head, and also have copper fit - just need to solder! Also need to locate the drain before setting the tub!

How high do you recommend putting the spout on the side panel of the Acclaim unit? I currently have it about 3" from the bottom of the panel, which puts it at about 5" above the tub, and the water valve 11' higher.

I am still unsure as to whether or not I will/should caulk. Previous statements all sound logical. Also, I am trying to locate Structolite to set the tub in, but I have not located. What is the preferred alternative? Plaster of paris or sand mix mortar? Pros - cons?? Help!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks