Questions About Replacing Home DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Notacomputation

Reaction score
it's a bungalow, built in 1959, on a basement

can i use ABS to replace the steel pipes i'm breaking out of the concrete.

at the end of the line the pipes was not far below the cement with hardly any 0-3/4 fill. can i lay ABS the same way or do i have to put it deeper. can't go too deep because i need to meet up with the 5" that passes under the footing

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The simple answer is yes, you can use ABS in the same way. Keep in mind the minimum slope for a drain is 1/4" per linear foot. I see no problem with the thin layer of concrete at the end.

Notacomputation

Reaction score
hey guys. thanks for answers

still wondering what's the best way to go about the job? at what end do i start?

i want to cut the main line to the street a few feet inside the footing and hook up with a rubber coupling for now. do the front yard later. i can borrow a chain cutter from the store but i'm not sure if they're safe to use on an old pipe. i don't want to damage the pipe that passes under the footing but just get a nice clean cut i can connect the new system

another Q i have is the toilet. the toilet seems to be sitting right on top of the large vertical pipe but the plumbing book i have says to use a Y fitting. can i just do it the old way? i don't want to move the large vertical pipe becaues it's already right next to the basement stairs. i'm going to do the bathroom later and replace the old fixtures but not the layout

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber coupling needs to be a (banded coupling) will have a solid smooth, not coragated, stainless band around it, don't use the ones that just have a clamp on each end. Are you living in this or is this a vacation home. If you are living in this I would suggest you do a section at a time until you know what your into. If you cut it all out at once you may find your self in a situation that requires a plumber in a emergency situation. Not a good place for you to be in unless your best friend is a plumber. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks