LASIK eye surgery

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I got my LASIK eye surgery done last week, and taking things a bit easier until they settle in.

Driving at night was different. I had a wider field of vision than I'm used to.
I my have to change my picture to one without glasses.
During the day, I'm still using sunglasses.

I'm looking forward to skiing and swimming with my new retooled eyes.
So far, just looking around at everything is kind of fun.

http://www.clearlylasik.com/

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
Terry,

Do you know if there is any kind of lasik that repairs old eye reading problems. My vision is near perfect, all but the reading thing. I don't like the idea of contacts, (if they even make them for that) so I run around with a pair of readers in my pocket.

Oh, and did it hurt???

bob...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Well, I'm old too, so I have the readers too.

Some people go in for "mono" vision.
One eye is done for reading, the other for distance.

That might have been a good idea.

Speedbump

Reaction score
So they do have something for reading. That might be the ticket. I have been carrying these readers around for 15 years.

bob...

kellyb

Reaction score
problem with the reading thing--your eyes just keep getting older--you will either need glasses again in a few years, or to have the surgery redone.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I should have known. I'm not big on surgery, as most of are not. I might get up enough nerve to have it done once, but twice or thrice. I think not!

Anyone know where I can find some good readers for under $10.00?

bob...

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I get mine at Big Lots.....usually 3 for 10 dollars. I have also bought them on the internet at very reasonable prices. I have many pair, because I lose and but them a lot! Also, I like a 2.0 for computer use, but a 2.5 for detail work.

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have been using Foster Grants that I found at a Drug Store once, they have a clip on them like an ink pen. Now I don't drop so many of them when I bend over. And you only get one shot at that when your fishing. They are a little pricey, but one pair last a long time.

I guess your a big chicken like me huh Jimbo?

bob...

George R

Reaction score
HA!! I buy my "readers" at the dollar store (Dollar General). 1.75-2.25 strength. They actually cost $1.00 for a pair. I abuse them, sticking them in my pants pocket and dropping them on concrete etc.

I usually buy 6-8 pairs every 2 mos or so and then just toss them in the trash when they get scratched or damaged.

$6-$8 every 2mo for glasses,--far less money than buying my morning cup of coffee at the convenience store.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For those that just need reading glasses, it wouldn't be an issue.

I needed glasses when I woke up in the morning.
Now when I go skiing, I can see everything.
It hasn't been that way for me since my 40's.

I'm looking forward to swimming in Mexico soon, being able to see when I'm in the water.

http://www.clearlylasik.com/

Last edited:

Sulconst2

Reaction score
my wife had it done about 6 months ago. took about the same time as a dentist visit. first noticeable thing she realized was being able to see the clock when she first woke up. nice upgrade for such a short treatment. only thing is its considered elective so wasn't covered under insurance. and its not cheap.

Speedbump

Reaction score
They put you out to do this? That would take away from some of the "I don't like pain and doctors" thing.

Did it help her reading vision any? I have to keep trying on that one.

bob...

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They say it takes about a month for the eye to finish healing.
I went skiing eight days later though.

I've noticed days that are better than other days.
It kind of goes in and out for a while.

The good part, I seem to be able to read without glasses again, and I can see far clearly.

They say because of my advanced age (54) that I should expect to use reading glasse up close, but on my good days, I don't bother with them.

I went up skiiing twice last weekend, really enjoyed skiing fast without the face plant worry. It seemed that the only two others skiiing faster than me that day were my brother and cousin. Felt great.

They do give you a sedative if you ask......I asked.

You are awake and asked to stare at the light while the laser does it's thing.
The laser takes about a minute per eye.
I swear, that at the end of the minute, the light image looked sharper.

You don't feel a lot at the time,
afterwards, the eyes can feel some discomfort for a while.
I took Tylenol the first day, and none after that.
For the first week, I was aware of my eyes healing, and I got to wear some cool shades until my eyes weren't so light sensitive.

I'm looking forward to hiking without sweat messing up my glasses.
I'm going to be seeing much better now, and I can buy off the shelf sunglasses now.

The way I prepared myself for this, was to:
Not talk about it
Not think about it
I just did it.

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
I had LASIK done about four years ago. My eyesight before the surgery was so bad that I couldnt see the digital clock on my nightstand two feet away. I was told before the procedure that they wouldnt be able to get me to 20/20 because of the severe astigmatism, but I was able to pass my eye exam for my drivers license for the first time ever. Another thing I was told was that the surgery wouldnt eliminate the need for reading glasses as I got older. I understand that there are now surgical procedures that could probably get me to 20/20 (but 20/40 is fine by me) and perhaps there are techiques that would eliminate the need for reading glasses. Not sure about that. I can say however that I've not regretted my decision for the surgery at all. It was simple, painless and quick.

Speedbump

Reaction score
This is getting better all the time. I guess the thing for me to do is go to the eye doctor and see what he says.

I was extremely lucky in that I was over 40 before my reading vision started to go. My out there vision is excellent and so far don't need glasses for that. I'm 60 now and would love to throw these readers in the trash.

One friend of mine had his eyes done and his reading vision came back. But only for a while. Of coarse his surgery wasn't for reading in the first place.

bob...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
LASIK is to treat far vision, so it won't help you close up. There are several techniques that can be used to help with that. A visit to the doctor can sort out if they are viable alternative for you. By the time most people hit 40, their lens is stiff enough that it doesn't stretch enough or at least fast enough to be able to focus close in and reading glasses start to help, if not be required. My doctor told me after 11 years, it is all down hill. The lense starts to get harder and less clear. How much you are outside without UV protection can make a difference as can heredity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks