LASIK eye surgery

Users who are viewing this thread

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
Congrats on your new 'look' on life!

My dad had RK done when he was 48, in 1994. He was 20/400 prior to it. He said he'd never shaved without his glasses on prior to the RK.

He did have some issues with seeing at night, so he wore glasses then. He ent up having them touched up in 2001, but still had minor issues at night. Mostly just seeing flares and rings around lights.

I've been blessed to have outgrown glasses back in my teens. Been good until a few months ago, I now have quite a few floaters in one eye. Borderline glaucoma at 32. Sucks to get old, lol.

Eh, it's like I tell the wife....I do my best work in the dark, hehe.

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Wore glasses since grade school, contacts since I was 16 (62 now), eyes uncorrected over 20/200. In other words what E.

Looked into LASIK several times over the last 8 years or so. Backed away each time, there are enough horror stories around to drive you nuts.

However, 3 years ago I went for it, best thing I ever did!

Took me months to stop reaching for the glasses in the morning to read the alarm clock. My only advice, for anyone considering it, is to do your homework on whoever you select to do it, you only have two eyes.

Molo

Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you PEW. I'm trying to decide if it's something I should do. My glasses help me with distance, but my eyes are actually good enough to function without them if I have to.

Molo

S & J

Reaction score
Mono vision - contacts

As a young far-sighted person, even though I could see a flea on a fence post 2 miles away - after 40, I had to turn to those pesky reader glasses, too. I had one in every room of the house.

On recommendation from a teacher friend, who had been using mono vision for 20 years, I decided to try it - and I love it! No more room searches for glasses.

To my surprise, the doc demonstrated for me how one of our eyes is dominate for distance and the other, for close up. I wear one contact in the "close-up" eye for reading (disposable contacts cost about $20 for six). Each contact is good for 2 weeks. I've never had any eye irritations.

As forewarned, in chosing this convenience, I sacrificed some distance clarity. But because my distance vision was above average, I figure now I'm like other earthlings. :) It's just great not to have to "go fish" every time I want to read something.

Speedbump

Reaction score
My wife uses contacts that actually have like a bifocle that allows her to read like a 12 year old. No she didn't have to go back to school, I am referring to her eyes ability to read like a 12 year old.:D

I was thinking about going the contact route, but she can't drive with the windows down or her eyes dry out. That bothered me. I love to drive with the windows down, so I'm right back where I started, looking for readers.

bob...

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I bought the $1 to $5 reading glasses for several years before going to American Optical and paying about $150 for glasses... they were ok but not worth the extra cash. One day I needed a pair badly and picked up some in Walmart at the ridiculous price of $14 but the quality was far better than the $5 glasses I had been getting at Family Dollar. I've had this one pair for almost a year and it's time for new ones... these are too scratched to see clearly out of.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There was a very famous/infamous surgeon down here in the southland named Dr. Kawesh. In LA and San Diego, he did the laser surgery on many many Hollywood stars, famous athletes, etc. Apparently he was very good. Seems he forgot to share the profits with the IRS, and last year was released from a 16 month stint in the graybars hotel. He managed to get his license back, and was back in business. Yesterday, they found him dead in a hotel room in Mexico. Supposedly natural causes. Age 46.

raybigto

Reaction score
Dead doctor

That's scary. To be rich and dead.

I had Lasik 7 years ago and I still sometimes push my invisible glasses up. Sometime my eyes tear up and sting, but I'm not sure if that's from lasik or signs of aging (dad has glaucoma).

I used a doctor in New Mexico (1 of 50 best Lasik surgeons iin America). I'd recommend and I still have his info. Lifetime service free. The one's here in Los Angeles, I just dont trust.

mike07

Reaction score
lasik

jadnashua said:
LASIK is to treat far vision, so it won't help you close up. There are several techniques that can be used to help with that. A visit to the doctor can sort out if they are viable alternative for you. By the time most people hit 40, their lens is stiff enough that it doesn't stretch enough or at least fast enough to be able to focus close in and reading glasses start to help, if not be required. My doctor told me after 11 years, it is all down hill. The lense starts to get harder and less clear. How much you are outside without UV protection can make a difference as can heredity.

Thanks for the tip. I need help with close up vision and I was wondering if I should get lasik eye surgery. Did you have the surgery? How is your vision?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I had the Lasik 1.5 years ago, I'm now 55.
I rarely ever use reading glasses.
Sometimes in dark resturants with small print menus.
While I'm driving, everything on the dash looks sharp as a tack.
And I can read the traffic signs.

I work with dual 19" LCD monitors set at 1280 by 1024 pixels, and don't use glasses.

I think it's pretty cool.

Last edited:

CHH

Reaction score
Lasik is soooo yesterday. Go for implantable contacts!

Ok, I'm being a bit facetious. Consider the risks and use the appropriate technology. You've only got two eyes and probably depend on 'em pretty much. Be real careful with any cutting, burning, or chopping since it will change the eye forever.

I had implants installed about a year ago. No regrets even though vision at 12 inches is shot. It's 20/20 at anything over 2 feet.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I keep seeing the ads for laser eye surgery, but a lifetime of near-sighted astigmatism has me so used to glasses that I'll just chug along with them, and be grateful for having UV-blocking plastic armor between my peepers and a cruel world.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks