(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LASIK eye surgery

Previous member

They put you out to do this? That would take away from some of the "I don't like pain and doctors" thing.

Did it help her reading vision any? I have to keep trying on that one.

bob...

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They say it takes about a month for the eye to finish healing.
    I went skiing eight days later though.

I've noticed days that are better than other days.
    It kind of goes in and out for a while.

The good part, I seem to be able to read without glasses again, and I can see far clearly.

They say because of my advanced age (54) that I should expect to use reading glasse up close, but on my good days, I don't bother with them.

I went up skiiing twice last weekend, really enjoyed skiing fast without the face plant worry. It seemed that the only two others skiiing faster than me that day were my brother and cousin. Felt great.

They do give you a sedative if you ask......I asked.

You are awake and asked to stare at the light while the laser does it's thing.
    The laser takes about a minute per eye.
    I swear, that at the end of the minute, the light image looked sharper.

You don't feel a lot at the time,
    afterwards, the eyes can feel some discomfort for a while.
    I took Tylenol the first day, and none after that.
    For the first week, I was aware of my eyes healing, and I got to wear some cool shades until my eyes weren't so light sensitive.

I'm looking forward to hiking without sweat messing up my glasses.
    I'm going to be seeing much better now, and I can buy off the shelf sunglasses now.

The way I prepared myself for this, was to:
    Not talk about it
    Not think about it
    I just did it.

I had LASIK done about four years ago. My eyesight before the surgery was so bad that I couldnt see the digital clock on my nightstand two feet away. I was told before the procedure that they wouldnt be able to get me to 20/20 because of the severe astigmatism, but I was able to pass my eye exam for my drivers license for the first time ever. Another thing I was told was that the surgery wouldnt eliminate the need for reading glasses as I got older. I understand that there are now surgical procedures that could probably get me to 20/20 (but 20/40 is fine by me) and perhaps there are techiques that would eliminate the need for reading glasses. Not sure about that. I can say however that I've not regretted my decision for the surgery at all. It was simple, painless and quick.

Previous member

This is getting better all the time. I guess the thing for me to do is go to the eye doctor and see what he says.

I was extremely lucky in that I was over 40 before my reading vision started to go. My out there vision is excellent and so far don't need glasses for that. I'm 60 now and would love to throw these readers in the trash.

One friend of mine had his eyes done and his reading vision came back. But only for a while. Of coarse his surgery wasn't for reading in the first place.

bob...

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

LASIK is to treat far vision, so it won't help you close up. There are several techniques that can be used to help with that. A visit to the doctor can sort out if they are viable alternative for you. By the time most people hit 40, their lens is stiff enough that it doesn't stretch enough or at least fast enough to be able to focus close in and reading glasses start to help, if not be required. My doctor told me after 11 years, it is all down hill. The lense starts to get harder and less clear. How much you are outside without UV protection can make a difference as can heredity.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Congrats on your new 'look' on life!

My dad had RK done when he was 48, in 1994. He was 20/400 prior to it. He said he'd never shaved without his glasses on prior to the RK.

He did have some issues with seeing at night, so he wore glasses then. He ent up having them touched up in 2001, but still had minor issues at night. Mostly just seeing flares and rings around lights.

I've been blessed to have outgrown glasses back in my teens. Been good until a few months ago, I now have quite a few floaters in one eye. Borderline glaucoma at 32. Sucks to get old, lol.

Eh, it's like I tell the wife....I do my best work in the dark, hehe.

Wore glasses since grade school, contacts since I was 16 (62 now), eyes uncorrected over 20/200. In other words what E.

Looked into LASIK several times over the last 8 years or so. Backed away each time, there are enough horror stories around to drive you nuts.

However, 3 years ago I went for it, best thing I ever did!

Took me months to stop reaching for the glasses in the morning to read the alarm clock. My only advice, for anyone considering it, is to do your homework on whoever you select to do it, you only have two eyes.

Glad it worked out for you PEW. I'm trying to decide if it's something I should do. My glasses help me with distance, but my eyes are actually good enough to function without them if I have to.

Molo

Default Mono vision - contacts

As a young far-sighted person, even though I could see a flea on a fence post 2 miles away - after 40, I had to turn to those pesky reader glasses, too. I had one in every room of the house.

On recommendation from a teacher friend, who had been using mono vision for 20 years, I decided to try it - and I love it! No more room searches for glasses.

To my surprise, the doc demonstrated for me how one of our eyes is dominate for distance and the other, for close up. I wear one contact in the "close-up" eye for reading (disposable contacts cost about $20 for six). Each contact is good for 2 weeks. I've never had any eye irritations.

As forewarned, in chosing this convenience, I sacrificed some distance clarity. But because my distance vision was above average, I figure now I'm like other earthlings. It's just great not to have to "go fish" every time I want to read something.

Previous member

My wife uses contacts that actually have like a bifocle that allows her to read like a 12 year old. No she didn't have to go back to school, I am referring to her eyes ability to read like a 12 year old.

I was thinking about going the contact route, but she can't drive with the windows down or her eyes dry out. That bothered me. I love to drive with the windows down, so I'm right back where I started, looking for readers.

bob...

I bought the $1 to $5 reading glasses for several years before going to American Optical and paying about $150 for glasses... they were ok but not worth the extra cash. One day I needed a pair badly and picked up some in Walmart at the ridiculous price of $14 but the quality was far better than the $5 glasses I had been getting at Family Dollar. I've had this one pair for almost a year and it's time for new ones... these are too scratched to see clearly out of.

There was a very famous/infamous surgeon down here in the southland named Dr. Kawesh. In LA and San Diego, he did the laser surgery on many many Hollywood stars, famous athletes, etc. Apparently he was very good. Seems he forgot to share the profits with the IRS, and last year was released from a 16 month stint in the graybars hotel. He managed to get his license back, and was back in business. Yesterday, they found him dead in a hotel room in Mexico. Supposedly natural causes. Age 46.

Default Dead doctor

That's scary. To be rich and dead.

I had Lasik 7 years ago and I still sometimes push my invisible glasses up. Sometime my eyes tear up and sting, but I'm not sure if that's from lasik or signs of aging (dad has glaucoma).

I used a doctor in New Mexico (1 of 50 best Lasik surgeons iin America). I'd recommend and I still have his info. Lifetime service free. The one's here in Los Angeles, I just dont trust.

Default lasik

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua
    LASIK is to treat far vision, so it won't help you close up. There are several techniques that can be used to help with that. A visit to the doctor can sort out if they are viable alternative for you. By the time most people hit 40, their lens is stiff enough that it doesn't stretch enough or at least fast enough to be able to focus close in and reading glasses start to help, if not be required. My doctor told me after 11 years, it is all down hill. The lense starts to get harder and less clear. How much you are outside without UV protection can make a difference as can heredity.

Thanks for the tip. I need help with close up vision and I was wondering if I should get lasik eye surgery. Did you have the surgery? How is your vision?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I had the Lasik 1.5 years ago, I'm now 55.
    I rarely ever use reading glasses.
    Sometimes in dark resturants with small print menus.
    While I'm driving, everything on the dash looks sharp as a tack.
    And I can read the traffic signs.

I work with dual 19" LCD monitors set at 1280 by 1024 pixels, and don't use glasses.

I think it's pretty cool.

Last edited by Terry; 09-15-2007 at 04:36 PM.