bypass shower doors

Users who are viewing this thread

JEP

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is the right place in the forum for this but here goes. I'm installing bypass shower doors on a standard 5' tub. The upper and lower tracks need to be cut. Any tricks, or ideas on how to get real nice straight cuts on these? Is there something better to use that a hacksaw that will give me a more square cut? Would some kind of blade in a chop saw do it?

Sulconst2

Reaction score
i use a regular blade in a chop saw. just cut real slow and wear glasses. then a file on the rough edge. perfect cut!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A small miter box and hacksaw will work OK, but work slowly. Use a file to remove any rough or sharp edges.

JEP

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to give the chop saw a shot. I'll do a test cut on the very end to see how it goes.

Sulconst2 - Do you face the top (solid) side up or the track side up when you cut - or doesn't it make a difference?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've cut two of those with a 60-tooth blade on a radial arm saw. The carbide can handle the aluminum fine, but go slow so you don't bog down or overheat anything.

Sulconst2

Reaction score
definitely the way to go. its finish work. really sticks out if its a bad cut. been using a chop saw for years on these. just turn your head cause it spits metal all over. but the cut is sweet!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks