Repiping my two story duplex

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am currently repiping my two story duplex from galvanized to copper 3/4. I am redoing all the plumbing in the basement and I will use the dioelctric fittings to connect the old to the new. I was planning on running a snake with a cut off end up the galvanize pipe leading upstairs to clean the pipe, then connect the two. I don't want to have to tear out walls to redo all the copper. Is cleaning the galv / with a snake affective and should I do it? What would you suggest I do?
Marc

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would be suprised if you can do it.
The inside build up is irregular and won't allow it.
When it does start to leak in the walls you will have to deal with them anyway.
I would change the exposed pipe and deal with the walls when the time comes. Who knows you may sell the house B4 that time comes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The snake will not remove the internal corrosion, but if it does it will only do it for the first straight section. It will not turn any corners, and if the corrosion you disturb is sealing any former leak spots, you could create leaks.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is extremely common to repipe 2 story homes. It usually requires opening a few holes in the wall, but with proper planning, most of the holes can be under the cabinets, or in closets. Drywall patching is the least of your worries. Continuing to use the galv. could be a big mistake.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
snakeing the pipe???

Never heard of snakeing the galvanized pipe,

and personally I would not attempt it...

if the snake gets stuck or wedjed into some
deposit , you are soooo totally screwed...

and it will most likely make things worse..
clogging things up beyond where you can reach...

just bite the bullet and do it right or leave it alone..

by completely re-doing the basement you will most likely help the
pressure upstairs anwaay

Finnegan

Reaction score
I am on board with the rest. I think you will have a hard time snaking the galvanized. When you cut the basement galvanized out, you should get a good indication as to what condition the rest of the system is in. Maybe you will get lucky and it is not too bad.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
GUEST , the long way is shorter sometimes.

my 2 cents. Get this behind you ,all at once. Why re pipe up stairs in 5 years ? Do it all at once It,s all the same rusted pipe :eek:

Look into pulling pex upstairs through the old holes. you'll have to open up some holes to do this . In the end, you'll be much happier

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks