Ugh00 cracjed toilet tank-- need to hunt down replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Ho333ard

Reaction score
My tenant's toilet tank somehow developed a big crack down the front.
I didn't get a brand-- it.s a small one, the numbers 411 stamped inside I think.
It's about 16" wide and the tank bolt holes are about 5 1/2" on center.
What causes a tank to crack?
What chance do I have of finding a replacement tank??
Thx . . .

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'll answer both question with the same answer. Slim to none. Box stores sell cheap toilets and they change manufacturers frequently. Replacement tanks even if available would likely cost almost as much as a new toilet. You could epoxy the crack, but I seriously doubt that it would hold.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Agree with plumber1 change the toilet.

You are being penny wize and pound foolish.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
Cass said:
Agree with plumber1 change the toilet.

You are being penny wize and pound foolish.

Thanks, folks.

(but why the harsh tone? just trying to get some info)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sorry if we sometimes come across harsh; sometimes our BTDT knowledge just jumps across the keyboard! A large crack in porcelain could be OK for another 20 years. You could also come home tomorrow and find the tank laying on the floor and water running down the stairs. It's just something you cannot take a chance with.

Inside the tank, you should find a model number, and more important, a date. If it is older than 1992, it is probably not 1.6 gallon flush, and there will not be a replacement tank available that would either fit or flush. You will need a complete toilet.

Unless you see a chipped spot that would indicat it was hit with a hammer or something thrown at it, you probably cannot blame the tennant. Cracks like this do happen. It can be a manufacturing or instllation defect that was latent all these years and just lets go.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Replacing with new is a good idea for a landlord anyway.

Water bills are much lower, so either you wind up with the savings, or the tenant does.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm pretty sure the toilet is less than 4 or 5 years old.
It didn't really occur to me to blame the tenant (or at least I couldn't picture these tenants acting recklessly or neligently).
I just replaced the tank hardware and the wax ring on this toilet less than a month ago, so I may have been too rough with it.
I didn't think fixing the crack would be a good idea but it's not easy for me to
find, buy and transpost stuff so I though it might be a possible way to buy a few more days.
-h333

jimbo said:
Sorry if we sometimes come across harsh; sometimes our BTDT knowledge just jumps across the keyboard! A large crack in porcelain could be OK for another 20 years. You could also come home tomorrow and find the tank laying on the floor and water running down the stairs. It's just something you cannot take a chance with.

Inside the tank, you should find a model number, and more important, a date. If it is older than 1992, it is probably not 1.6 gallon flush, and there will not be a replacement tank available that would either fit or flush. You will need a complete toilet.

Unless you see a chipped spot that would indicat it was hit with a hammer or something thrown at it, you probably cannot blame the tennant. Cracks like this do happen. It can be a manufacturing or instllation defect that was latent all these years and just lets go.

Ho333ard

Reaction score
Well, every time something happens I assume my local Ace doesn't have what I need, then I find out it has exactly what I need.
Picked up a tank for $40, carted it home on my bike trailer, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to try it. The bolt holes are the exact same distance apart . . .

Ho333ard

Reaction score
Got it installed

Fits very nicely. Noting else to say (I hope).
I think it's part of an Orion. Not sure how it came to my hardware guy but parts and instructions for the bowl were in the tank box as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks