Pressure Switch and Tank Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbschaefer1

Reaction score
I just changed a defective and leaking pressure switch on my well and pressure tank setup. I shut off the well pump and breaker, turned off the main water valve to the house, and drained the water out of the pressure tank. Prior to doing this I noted the pressure gauge off the main line read approximately 45-50 psi. While installing the new Square D 30/50 pressure switch I noticed the defective switch was a Flotec 40/60. Once the system was turned back on I have noticed a pressure change in my water - shower specifically. In addition the pressure gauge on the water line reads only 30 PSI. What do I need to do? adjust the cut in screw on the pressure switch? Increase the pressure in the pressure tank? The house and well are only 2 1/2 years old and hopefully I haven't really screwed something up. If anyone can assist me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Contrary to popular opinion, the pressure tank does not determine the house pressure, the pump and pressure switch do. What the tank does is store some of that water under pressure so you can draw a little water off without having to turn on the pump for a short run.

The switch you replaced is not going to allow as much maximum pressure (50 vs 60), and will let the pressure drop more before it turns back on (30 vs 40). You can typically adjust the new switch to change the settings. A search here will describe how.

You need to make sure the resting bladder tank pressure is correct for your installation. When the pump is switched off, a valve is opened, and no more water flowing out from the tank, the pressure tank should read 1-2 pounds less than the low setting of the pressure switch. So, for a 30/50, it should read about 28; for a 40/60 setting, about 38. Having it too high will limit the amount of water it can store. Having too little pressure can overstretch the bladder and decrease the life of the bladder.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks