Glass Shelves

Users who are viewing this thread

az1324

Reaction score
I need to put glass shelves in a frameless 42" upper dish cabinet but am nervous about their weight bearing capacity. What thickness of glass would you recommend and is support at only the two ends sufficient?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
az1324 said:
I need to put glass shelves in a frameless 42" upper dish cabinet but am nervous about their weight bearing capacity. What thickness of glass would you recommend and is support at only the two ends sufficient?

use tempered glass and you will not have to have a real thick glass shelf. Even with that, the more support the better.

Finnegan

Reaction score
I replaced the shelves in a few cabinets with glass in the last place I lived. I think I used 1/4" glass, but I recall that the place I got it from was helpful. I would check with your local glass and mirror supplier, they will probably point you in the right direction.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
tempered is a good idea

I do a lot of glazing .temp is also 9 times stronger than annealed glass.

when i was doing a lot of store fixture work in the carps. union we would sometimes cut down glass shelves.they were 3/8 annealed. not tempered

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks