Opinions on comfort

Users who are viewing this thread

Grantley

Reaction score
Hello all.
First time posting... like the forums... very non threatening to a new guy just trying to figure out a new bathroom.

Q: Would you feel comfy showering in front of a glass block wall that is also used as part of your shower surround? :confused:

Ladies answer too. I know us guys couldn't give a crap. Just trying to figure out what would be the best for reselling down the road.

My idea is to take out the window that is at the end of the shower now (translucent texture glass from the 70's) and move my shower to the end of my bathroom. I can't have that window there with all the wood trim around it unless I really just wanted to roll out the red carpet for mold and wet wood. The main reason for needing at least some sort of light source and that window now is it. The room is pretty dark even in the day time now. Only other way would be to drop a skylight into the attic and use a reflective chute to provide the sunlight (which is kinda $$$.)

Any other things you've seen that might help me out with the problem of getting light in an otherwise dim room? Thanx in advance.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
solatube.jpg

Some of the glass block is quite tranlucent...you can't see much. Probably no more than you would through the normal single ply drape.

I've put in 3 SolaTube skylights. Haven't researched them recently, but at the time I bought mine, that was the best version in light color and quantity. Some are quite poor in the quantity and have weird colorations. It took me probably three years of trying to turn the light switch off on the way out of that bathroom after I put it in. I bought the light kit and remote fan, but you wouldn't necessarily need those. I put it in in place of the existing fan/light in the ceiling. The newest version of that product uses a fresnel lense rather than a parabolic reflector...it is supposed to improve the low-sun light levels to the device. The basic kit isn't that expensive...the tube extensions are fairly pricey...it depends on the roof pitch and the distance from the peak where you want to make the penetration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks