Replacing galvanized. Pipe sizing q.

Users who are viewing this thread

Zach

Reaction score
I'm replacing some galvanized pipes in my house. I'll have to verify, but I believe my meter size is 5/8.

I have 3/4" PVC supply running the 30 or so feet from meter to house. Inside the house I have 3/4" gal which I'd like to replace.

I have 2 1/2 baths, and about 32 fixture units. Is there any reason to run 1" copper inside the house, or will 3/4" be sufficient before branching off? (i.e. to the softener and wh?)

I don't have plans for replacing the PVC yet. My first goals are to get rid of the badly corroded galv, install a softener, and new water heater.

Thanks in advance for the advice..

-Zach

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
1" inside the house is good for the cold until you branch out. One problem you might have if you use 3/4" for hot water inside the house is the length of time it takes to purge the cold water from the line and that is also a waste of water. You can normally run two items on 1/2" hot. Like a shower and a lav. You're OK to leave the PVC supply line. Terry has a good pipe sizing guide in a link off the the home page of this site.

pipe_size_1.jpg

pipe_size_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks