air in water lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Willfitz

Reaction score
In a previous problem that some of you helped me with, I successfully replaced a check valve to solve a pressure loss in my system (I have a submersible pump with pressure switch & air bladder tank).

Everything seems to be working fine with one exception--I can't seem to get rid of air in my water lines. At all faucet locations in my house I have sporadic gurgling and inconsistent water flow along with air coming out. At some times the flows are fine, then the next day, air again...

I am concerned that I did not properly let water back into the system after I replaced the check valve.

Any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated.

Will

Speedbump

Reaction score
You probably had a few leaks down the well and by putting that check valve up top, you are draining droppipe which is shoving air into the bladder tank. Since there is nowhere for the air to go but into the plumbing, your faucets are spitting at you.

bob...

Willfitz

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply Bob--let me tell you a little more about my system to see if your answer still fits... I have a thousand gallon holding tank for water from a spring. My pump is in that holding tank sitting no more than six feet deep. From there it's over to my house. If it turns out not to be a pump problem, could the air in my lines be caused by an improper pressure in my bladder tank?

Will

Speedbump

Reaction score
No, I wouldn't think so. The air in a tank when the bladder goes bad is absorbed into the water slowly and you wouldn't even notice it.

So you have a submersible in a 1000 gal tank? Right?

You said you replaced a check valve. Did you replace the one in the pump or add a new one at the pump or did you add one at the bladder tank when the one at/in the pump went bad?

bob...

Willfitz

Reaction score
yes, I have a submersible in the 1000 gal tank--the check valve that I replaced is in the house--it's the first component right before my
pumpswitch & bladder tank. Prior to replacing this check valve I had no air-in-the-line problems.

Will

Speedbump

Reaction score
I think if you remove that check valve, you will find a leak or leaks. When the valve closes, it removes the pressure from the line out to the submersible pump. If there are a couple leaks, air can get into the pipe. When the sub turns back on, the air is forced into the system.

bob...

Willfitz

Reaction score
Thanks Bob, I found a leak....the line in my basement is a type of black semi-hard plastic with plastic fittings and band clamps at various joints---I found that one of those joints is leaking when the pump runs. I'll re-do that joint tomorrow & hopefully that'll solve my problem.

will

Willfitz

Reaction score
Problem solved ! --I re-did the pipe connections in front of the check valve--they had been leaking slowly--since tightening, I've now solved all of my air-in-the-line problems

thanks for the advice bob

Will

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks