Shower stall

Users who are viewing this thread

Vinci

Reaction score
Several years ago I removed a shower stall in my basement bathroom. I replaced it with a sink and used the same drain hole from the shower for the sink. The drain hole is embedded in the cement floor. Does the shower stall need a trap under the cement for the drain? I don't know if there was one when the original shower stall was installed. Is it necessary to have a trap installed? Can the stall be install without a trap?

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A shower MUST have a trap. Otherwise, you get sewer gas in the house. There is probably a trap where you removed the shower before.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Once you remove all of the sink drain and get down to the old shower drain, you should be able to tell for sure that there is a trap. It should be straight down so you if you shine a flashlight into the pipe, you should be able to see water standing in the trap. The only reason there might not be a trap is if the installation of the original shower was done by a DIYer that didn't know any better. My dad had such an arrangment in a shower stall in his basement. There was a constant sewer gas smell, and when I pull the old stall out and check, sure enough, no trap! There is one rule in plumbing that never changes. Every fixture must have a trap or there will be sewer gas. The toilet has its own trap built in, basement showers and floor drains are nonaccessabe, usually under the concrete, and all other drains are the familiar P shaped assemblies directly under the fixture.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks