Well Pump Energy Usage Question

Users who are viewing this thread

tyler94

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am getting a 3 Horsepower 10GPM Well pump. The model # is 4F10S30. I am trying to calculate how much energy usage this pump will use. I am not sure how to go about doing this. It is a 600' well located 150' from the house, and it needs to be capable of producing 80PSI to the top floor. Thanks in advance.
Tyler

tyler94

Reaction score
Don't you need to know how long the pump runs each day? What is the typical time a well pump is running?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Pumps run on a curve. You need more data.

It matters not how deep the well is. It only matters where the water level is. If the well doesn't recover as fast as you pump it, you also need to know the recovery rate.

You also need to know the GPM you will move through the curve. The more water you move in a given time the energy it consumes.

tyler94

Reaction score
Also, what else is needed for the well pump to get water to the house? Is there typically a storage container that the well pump pumps water into? If so, how do you maintain 80PSI to the house?

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Also, what else is needed for the well pump to get water to the house? Is there typically a storage container that the well pump pumps water into? If so, how do you maintain 80PSI to the house?

This could go on forever with questions ans what ifs.....so just assume you have installed a 40 gallon bladder tank, with a pressure switch to cut the pump on and off at your desired settings.....then assume an average family home uses 250 gallons per day and you have a 10 gpm pump; so your pump runs a total of 25 minutes per day....don't have a book in front of me but 3HP should draw somewhere around 20 amps, 230 volts or 4600 watts round up if you want to 5000 watts for 1/2 hour, so that's 2.5 kw hours at $0.12 each = $0.30 / day...go on and round up again to $0.50 /day for the higher starting current required as the pump cycles on and off.

Do some google searches on well pump systems if you need more detail, there is lots of info out there.

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
singlephasemotorspecs.jpg

Book says it uses about 3-3.5KW.

Since your assignment is lacking some very important information to the problem looks like you need to do some ad-libbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks