toilet filling problems

Users who are viewing this thread

jekern1015

Reaction score
I'm a newbie to the forum and need some help please. Saturday night last week we had a small 3.2 earthquake roll through the house, the center was about 15 to 20 miles from our location. Now our toilets are making gurgling noises when they fill up. There is no noises when we use any of the sinks or showers in the house. Our house was built in 1995 and these are the first problems we have had outside of replacing the float mechanism in both toilets. Is this a coincidence with the earthquake and I just need to replace the innards on both toilets or is it something a little more serious. Thanks for all your help.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
From where is the gurgling coming? If you lift the lid, is the gurgling clearly identifiable as coming from the fill valve? Or is it a more-generalized gurgling from within the bowl?

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Since it's affecting all the toilets I would venture to say that the sewer lines have air in them. Isn't there a sewer cap outside the house? Maybe if you opened that vent up it will evacuate any trapped air in the line.

Reach4

Reaction score
Home sewers pretty much always have air in them. Those vent pipes on the top of each house provides plenty of air.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Since it's affecting all the toilets I would venture to say that the sewer lines have air in them.

When sewer lines DO NOT have air in them, meaning they are full of water, is when they have gurgling problems WHILE THEY ARE FLUSHING, now while the tank is filling. You could have debris in the valves causing them to fill slowly and thus aspirate air through the fill valve, causing bubbles and gurgling.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
SOme fill valves have inlet filter screens. The vibrations could have dislodged some crud, and all you need to do is clean those filters. If they do not stop, and keep running, some of it may have become lodged in the seal, and also require either cleaning or replacement.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If the noise IS coming from the fill valves, assuming you have a basically-generic toilet, you can replace the fill valve for about $10 and about 10 minutes of your time. Then you can see if it solves your problem. If so, you can replace the others.

We have found that this one is essentially-universal, works well, and is easy to install: http://www.lowes.com/pd_336988-868-528MPK_0__?Ntt=528mpk&UserSearch=528mpk&productId=3284948&rpp=32

It's available at many hardware stores in addition to Lowe's. There is a video on youtube from the manufacturer on how to install it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw7HvHtaA84

Let us know how it goes for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks