Bathroom Plumbing Code Question

Users who are viewing this thread

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Hi all...first post here.

I am plumbing a new master bath. My main stack is all the way to the left of the room. To the far right is a tub and between the tub and the stack is a shower. Do I have to tie each of these into the stack individually, or can I have one run from the tub to the stack and just tie the shower drain into that run?

Thanks in advance.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Everything is dependent of the layout and where the piping can be run within the existing framing. This also determines where the vents must be for each fixture.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
In the bathroom itself, it is currently just framed. The ceilings underneath are open as well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A tub and shower can be plumbed together, but the framing will determine if and where the lines should be tied together. If the room below is an unfinished basement, then there is no problem plumbing below the joists, but if the room below will be finished, thought must be taken as to how to plumb between the joists and not weaken any framing members by drilling or notching. Both fixtures must be vented, and if they are tied together, one will need to be re-vented.

Often it is best to draw everything out and post pictures so we can see what needs to be done.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Thanks Cacher. Here is a drawing.

My main concern is venting the tub, since it is a run of almost 10' to the nearest wall in the direction I would prefer to run the drain.

bath.jpgAlso I am thinking of putting two drains in the shower because I plan on having multiple shower heads. Does each on need it's own trap?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you run the lav drain straight towards the outer wall, the tub could be wet vented through it's vent. A 2" drain can be shared from the tub/shower to the connection for the water closet. The shower will need another vent, which could come up in the wall between the shower and WC.

I would go with one drain and trap for the shower. If you are really going big on the water supply to the shower, you should consider a linear drain.

Last edited:

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Thanks cacher.

I decided I did not want to cut holes in the middle of the 2x10's, so I ran both the lavs and the tub towards the back of the house. On the first floor there is a kitchen sink that drain via a 1.5" drain. Before renovations it vented out through the roof. After renovations, the vent was cut and currently sits under a window.

I ripped out the 1.5" and replaced it with 2" and tied the kitchen sink into this. I Plumbed in and vented the tub from the left and the lavs from the right. See picture. My question is how do I make sure the kitchen sink is now vented? I was going to tie into the existing vent, but I do not want to cut holes through all the studs. The tub vent is only about four feet away and the lav vent is six feet. Will these serve the kitchen sink?

ventura_plumbing.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The kitchen will need it's own vent, above the trap arm that serves it.

sink_dw.jpg

If you can't run the vent for the kitchen sink, you may need to use an AAV there.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I don't think the inspector will allow a AAV.
The sinks trap arm connects directly into the 2" pipe running vertical. What if I replaced the 90 where the upstairs lab ties in with a tee and vented it from there?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Looking at the picture, I am unsure of what you are doing. If the tub drain is 1-1/2", the vent must be within 5' of the trap. The shower drain must be 2" and it's vent must be within 8' of it's trap. The sink vent must be vertical, but can be offset to clear a window, as long as any horizontal section of vent is at least 6" above the flood rim of the sink.

Last edited:

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
Cacher. The tub comes in from the left and is 2" PVC with a 2" trap and was vented shortly after the trap. The upstairs lav is 2" PVC, is vented and comes in from the left. The downstairs kitchen sink, ties directly in to the 2" PVC running vertical. The 90 you see coming out the top of the sanitary tee does nothing at this point. Originally I was going to turn it 180 degrees and tie into the existing 1.5" vent for the sink, but instead I removed the vent because it was under windows.

Nothing is glued yet....I want to make sure everything is to code first.

Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
OK, so you turned your kitchen sink vent stack into a drain. Now you will need a new vent for the kitchen. The vents could be tied together once they are at least 6" above the flood rim of the highest fixture served.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
I was hoping it could serve as a stack and a vent.

Can I run a 1.5" vent just to the right of my 2" stack and try to sneak it passed my pipes and up to the second floor? Here I will tie it into one of my other vents.

Also, what should I do about the opening on the top of my sanitary tee. Can I put a small piece of pipe in there and then cap it? Or do they make something else I should use?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You don't have any room there at the top. As long as you do not drill in the center 1/3 of the joist span, you should have been fine with the 2" pipe.

r_ventura_23

Reaction score
I think I figured out what I need to do. I am going to reverse the sink drain to the right until I get out from under the window. Then go up with the vent and down with the stack to the crawl space. I will then tie into the new 2" drain I created in the crawl space.

Can I vent his sink with a 1 1/4" which would later tie into the current 1 1/2" vent I have upstairs?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks