SHOWER BASE: Redgard + tile

Users who are viewing this thread

Footman_75

Renovating
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm about to tile a shower base. The base consists of a Schluter/KERDI styrofoam tray and drain system. No Kerdi membrane. On top of the styro tray there is a skim of mortar and then 3 coats of Redgard.
QUESTION: Should a skim coat of mortar get applied on top of the Redgard before applying mortar & tiles with a notched trowel? Or, could I go directly to applying mortar with a notched trowel?

Right now I'm thinking to protect the Redgard from getting punctured by a notched trowel by first applying a skim coat.
Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IMHO, none of those. The foam tray is part of a system, and not using it as designed will get you no warranty from anyone. TO obtain the desired compressive strength, the Kerdi fabric provides a HUGE increase in strength once things set up. You'll get none of that with a liquid membrane on top. Thinset sticks fine to cured RedGard, so no, you do not need to skim coat it with anything, wait, then add more thinset and tile. But, again, this is, IMHO, asking for trouble with nobody to back you up if you have a problem. Wedi makes similar tray that is not required to have a membrane on it (in reality, the tray is waterproof except for the seams), but not as much in vapor migration, and with the WEdi tray, if you're using smaller tile, they require you use an epoxy grout to make the tile hold together. Schluter's tray with Kerdi installed automatically ties those tile together, so normal grout works with any suitable tile (suitable in that you can get it to lay flat when installing on the sloped tray). Because what you are doing is not according to either products' instructions, it hasn't been tested, nor will you get either company to back you up if there's a problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks