Relocated TPR valve safety ?

Users who are viewing this thread

gmiller

Reaction score
Hello,

I was doing some work at my mother-in-laws house (Bothell WA), and noticed the TPR valve for her water heater had been relocated. I would like to know if this set up is safe, and code compliant. Hopefully these pictures will help

Rheem Waterheater (circa 1999)
Electric
50 gal

I believe the original TPR valve was mounted on the top of the water heater. This hole has been filled with a steel plug (second pic), and the TPR valve was relocated about a foot away on a branch of the hot water supply line that feeds the rest of the house. It seems to me that moving the TPR valve would delay the valve opening if the tank were ever to overheat (the valve would be colder than the tank). And as far as pressure is concerned, wouldn't the flex pipe fail before the valve opened? Either way this setup offended my sensibilities (I'd welcome being wrong on this one).

Questions:
1) Is this a good installation? (is it safe? is it code?)
2) When I get it replaced should I insist it be changed in any way?
3) Does this mean I have to get a water heater with a top mounted TPR valve?

Thanks in advance.
George

Reach4

Reaction score
That's bad IMHO. However the pressure part will still work.

You can have TPR top or side, but the temp probe should be sticking into the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks