New Kohler Cast Iron Tub and Gerber Bath Tub Drain Reuseable?

Users who are viewing this thread

cloves

Reaction score
Hi fella's, we are currently replacing our old cast iron bath tub with a new Kohler Villager. I have a Gerber brass bath tub drain (20 gauge) that is only a few years old I would like to reuse since the new traps are so expensive. So I was wondering if this was at all possible? As you can see in the photo I am going to have to get a new "T" to connect the drains which isn't a problem.

Attachments

• Gerber Drain.jpg
    Gerber Drain.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 886

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; As you can see in the photo I am going to have to get a new "T" to connect the drains which isn't a problem.

Actually, that may be your BIGGEST problem, because it has to be one made specifically for that drain assembly.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"since the new traps are so expensive"

When you change your oil in your car, do you keep the old filter, since it only has 3000 miles on it and it looks new?

Drain assembly is about $30. Compare to the tub, it's peanuts.

Use common sense and a new drain assembly.

cloves

Reaction score
hj, parts are readily available online from a supply house.

dj2, a car filter is made of paper which gets clogged as oil and particle pass through it. This is a brass waste and over flow which costs about $150 bucks. The tub costs 330 bucks, so not really sure how you are making this comparison.

The only cheaper options are to go with pvc.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If I'm installing in an area without access, the inspector wants a solvent weld waste and overflow.
That would be PVC or ABS

I rarely install brass W&O's anymore. When I price them the other day, I was surprised at the costs. And the lack of quality that I was used to.
If you have an intact drain that is three years old, that's still pretty new.
If you have access for later replacement even better. They will leak after a while. That's why they are no longer code.

Asktom

Reaction score
If you get a new tee be sure it is a Gerber so the bucket seals properly. Otherwise, the tub won't hold water.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; hj, parts are readily available online from a supply house.

"Parts" are available, but are they the RIGHT parts? If not the assembly will go together okay, but the drain will not hold water. The trip "bucket" MUST be close slip fit, so it can move but also keep the water sealed off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks