electric soldering iron

Users who are viewing this thread

mosquito

Reaction score
My DH has a big electric soldering iron and says it will heat 1/2 inch copper pipe enough to solder (for in house water supply line). Is this going to work or do I need to go get a propane torch before we even start this project?

Joerg

Reaction score
I'd side with Mike. Soldered all my life and even big Bertha, my 500 watts iron, could not properly heat copper pipe well enough. And 500 watts is a lot, never seen a bigger version.

Regards, Joerg.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thing to remember is that you have to heat the pipe and fitting to the point that the solder will flow when touch to the hot copper. I seriously doubt that there is an electric soldering iron that will do that, and even if there was, it would be extremely slow.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
solder

They make electric soldering devices, but they are a lot bigger than any soldering gun. They also heat from both sides of the fitting, which a soldering gun will not, and cannot, do. I hope that joint is not buried in the wall, because it might be very marginal as far as its integrity is concerned.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wish you luck with the joint, but I sure wouldn't bet the cost of a torch and a trip to the hardware store that the joint will hold. Murphy's Law is likely to kick in, probably when you are gone on a 3 day trip, and you will discover that the solder didn't flow deeply into the joint.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks