Submersible troubleshooting....

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike M2

Reaction score
I have noticed lately a lack of the normal pressure in my system. I have a deep well with a 220v pump and have had it out a few times for misc. reasons. The pump is about 15 years old.
Here's what I know, the pump is continuously running. Looking at the gauge I see it is holding a steady 30psi. I tested for leaks by turning the water off just after the pressure switch and turned the pump off. It still holds 30psi steady so I know there are no leaks anywhere. I kick the pump on and it may gain a pound or two at the most but still runs due to not hitting the peak pressure. My guess at this point is the pump is not performing as it should.
I can replace it no problem, BUT I have a question! When a well guy replaced it 15 years ago he mentioned to me that I needed a special pump diameter due to the galvanized pipe having buildup inside it from age. Was he BSing me? I can't seem to find any info online about any diameter pump other than a 4 inch. Can anyone help shed some light on this? Thanks....

Reach4

Reaction score
That well guy may have been referring to a "trimline" pump if you are talking about the current pump. If he was referring to your next pump, I expect he was referring to the Grundfos SQ series. It will fit into a 3 inch casing

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the piping between the pump and your pressure tank has a check valve in it, you could still have a leak between the pump and the check valve.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Have you noticed if the water is not as cold as it used to be? A leak in the downpipe can recirc the water enough to warm it.

Mike M2

Reaction score
Today I went over it all and i'm convinced the pump is the problem. Should not be a downpipe problem as the system keeps it's pressure when I turn off the pump. I actually replaced the entire downpipe last year due to a small hole near the pump.
The pressure will get up to about 42psi tops without the switch turning it off. If I use water it may drop to the upper 30's but goes back to 42 afterwards, pump never turning off. For now I am turning the breaker on and off as I need water until the new pump comes in.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those SQ pumps spin at 10,000 + rpm. Fifteen years, a little grit and it could be wiped out, of course if you have a galvanized nipple in there someplace that could be your issue as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks