new kitchen pipe slow draining

Users who are viewing this thread

Netmouse

Reaction score
Here are photos of 1) new piping under the kitchen sink and 2) of the new opening in the sink.

The opening really surprised me, as you can see there is only a small hole for water to drain. Is this normal? Could this be slowing draining from the sink?

The disposer was removed because of very slow draining, and hope that removing the disposer would speed up draining. The contractor also snaked the piping to the basement sewer pipe. I'll be having a plumber visit next.

Attachments

• kitchen pipe.jpg
    kitchen pipe.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 309
  • drain pipe entrance.jpg
    drain pipe entrance.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 304

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Not only is that an S-trap as already said, you cannot use that black rubber fitting inside of a house...those are only allowed underground where both ends of the pipe can be properly supported to keep them aligned. You need one with a metal band around it to meet code.

Galvanized pipe can end up being VERY rough, and the rust crud can cause the interior area to be squeezed considerably. Unless you use a full-diameter cutting head on a snake, you could still have a lot of restriction in that pipe.

Netmouse

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber. What is a proper vent or AAV? What does that entail? Why is an S-trap wrong?

Kiton

Reaction score
Galvanized pipe can end up being VERY rough, and the rust crud can cause the interior area to be squeezed considerably. Unless you use a full-diameter cutting head on a snake, you could still have a lot of restriction in that pipe.

I am not a plumber, but that galvanized pipe looks rather old and jadnashua's point should be investigated.
This in the insides of a 68 year old vertical section of a sink drain I cut out and replaced last week in my home.

Attachments

• Middle section 2 inch drain 9647x.jpg
    Middle section 2 inch drain 9647x.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 272

Netmouse

Reaction score
Kiron, your pic shows one really bad pipe! Yes, I have a plumber probably here tomorrow to review what the contractor did.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
An S-trap can actually siphon itself. A vent, on a proper drain configuration, prevents that. The seal in the trap is what prevents sewer flies, gasses, and other nasty smells from wafting up into the house.

SHR

Reaction score
Your "contractor" had no business touching plumbing. The picture of their work proves they have no idea how plumbing works. No one should be allowed to take money for such poor work. Get your money back from the "contractor".

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
An "S" trap does not necessarily "cause" slow drainage, in fact the opposite is usually true, but in combination with a problem ELSEWHERE it will drain slowly. The "elsewhere" could be anywhere in the entire system and an AAV would NOT improve the drainage in that case. You need a competent plumber, and not all are competent, to see where the problem is and cure THAT, the address the "S" trap issue which is a different matter altogether.

Netmouse

Reaction score
Problem solved. The pipe was really snaked for a while this time. It was 15' of pipe to the sewer pipe. He said he could feel a small opening, then debris fell and completely closed it up. He kept snaking and then the drain popped open with good water flow.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks