Distraught in Dallas - Main line backing up. Need Serious Advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

GEAUXHOOKEM

Reaction score
My wife and I purchased a home in Dallas and have been living in it six weeks. The home inspection noted issues with the plumbing system backing up. The sellers agreed to repair the issues. The week we moved in we had a mainline backup and have had one each week for the last six weeks. Each time the plumbing company has had to come out and clear the line. They have removed countless amounts or construction debris including mortar from the pipes underneath our pier and beam home. The plumbing was 80% redone in our 1960's with the exception of a galvanized pipe that connects to the new PVC plumbing. Needless to say we are tired of gurgling toilets and showers that won't drain. The seller has been really good about getting the plumbing company out here each week. However, I have a suspicion that something is majorly wrong and I'm not being given the full story. The seller and the plumbing company owner have worked together for years. Both plumbers from the company that have been to the house multiple times have told me they suggest having the main line replaced even though everything continues to look fine in the cameras after they remove debris and snake the pipes. I have attached pictures of the stuff the plumbers have pulled out of the lines underneath our home. What do you guys and gals suggest? I'm way in over my head on this one and just want the right thing to be done.

The seller texted me this morning and said, "Spoke to ****** and he suggest installing cleanouts in front of the house and jetting the lines again through the cleanouts. He can't guarantee it won't backup, but he thinks this should take care of it. I will get with his office to call you to schedule the work. Thank you for your patience".

I don't need a solution that may work, I need a definitive fix. What should I do at this point? photo 1-1.jpgphoto 2-1.jpgphoto 3.jpg

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I lived in Dallas for years but I can't say I knew a good plumber there. Rented the whole time.

However, our very respected contributor master plumber MacPlumb is in Houston, and knows great guys all over the country (he recommended a great one to me in NY) who are honest and expert in drain stuff. You might find one of his posts and PM him, or maybe he will weigh in here. You might post in the drain cleaning forum and refer to this thread and see what the word is...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Not all of that looks like "construction debris", but even if it were, where did it come from since it should not have been in there since 1960 without causing stoppages. In addition, if it is snaked or jetted and a camera checks it afterwards and finds no "problem" I cannot see why it should happen again any time soon, and definitely not in a week. Something about your description or diagnosis does not seem right. A house build in the 60s, should already have an exterior cleanout, but it may be down on the pipe and buried.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Because you mentioned gurgling it is my suggestion to have the vent system checked out, if it was ever done correctly, or a addition to the home changed something. A plumber should get on the roof and scope out the vent pipe(s) with a camera. After fifty years something could have fallen (critters, etc.) into the pipe. When the system plugged up, effluent could have worked up at the tee(s) between the drain pipe and the vent pipe. After a long time and many backups, you may never know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks