New tub shower combo supply question

Users who are viewing this thread

WiWilliam

Reaction score
So I'm building a new bathroom and have decided I want 3 things in the shower/tub. A tub filler, a shower head, and 1 hand-held head. I found that Grohe makes a Retro-fit system which would be supplied by a normal single shower head off a pressure balance valve. It comes with an external diverter. I'm curious if this is a smart way to go or should I just run a separate in wall diverter? Also I've never had a thermostatic control valve and I know I like to take much hotter showers then my wife, does this present a problem?

Thanks for your help.

grohe-retro-fit-shower-system.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My personal experience with Grohe is they make solid stuff...I have a few of their fixtures in my home. I first experienced one of their thermostatically controlled valves in a hotel in London, England. While the pressure was bouncing all over the place, the temperature was stable. Most of them have two controls...once for volume and one for temperature. In this manner, you can set your preferred temperature and then just turn the water on and off. Not sure on the one you pictured. If a local store doesn't carry the repair parts, you can still order them pretty quickly, which is important, too. While they are required to have a stop at (normally about 105-degrees), the temp control knob can be moved beyond that stop usually by pressing a button. I find it nice as you can set your preferred temp, and never worry about it even as the WH starts to run out. While it doesn't magically make hot water, it will keep the temp constant as long as there's enough hot water to meet your set point.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
To me, that "conversion" looks like something we used to find at hardware stores to add a shower to a tub, and is NOT something I would recommend if this is going to be a "full rebuild" of a tub/shower unit. as for temperature, a Delta "two handle" valve would give you the option of selecting the temperature, by positioning the handle first, then turning it on for the volume you want.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
as for temperature, a Delta "two handle" valve would give you the option of selecting the temperature, by positioning the handle first, then turning it on for the volume you want.

Delta also makes a thermostatically controlled valve option. But, on their volume/temp (not thermostatically controlled), it is controlling the fixed mix of hot and cold, not the actual temperature which will change with the seasons as the incoming cold changes, or as the WH starts to cool off near the end....there, a thermostatically controlled valve will maintain the same temp until there's not enough hot water to do it. Whether that additional complexity and valve cost is useful to you, only you can decide.

FWIW, my tub/shower valve is entirely external because the 'wet wall' was compromised by both a pocket door and a main air duct behind it. Turning the tub 180-degrees would have made for major rework of the entire drain system. So, external has its uses, and if you like the style, go for it.

WiWilliam

Reaction score
HJ your right the more I look at that the more it looks like something that was an afterthought.

FWIW, my tub/shower valve is entirely external because the 'wet wall' was compromised by both a pocket door and a main air duct behind it. Turning the tub 180-degrees would have made for major rework of the entire drain system. So, external has its uses, and if you like the style, go for it.

That sounds interesting!

Thanks for the advice I'll figure something out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks