Options for a high set P-trap

Users who are viewing this thread

SeattleSink

Reaction score
Hi folks, I would really appreciate some advice on where to go from here.

My situation:
I have recently been redoing many parts of my kitchen, and the cabinets and countertops are all still unattached. We got a new sink that is deeper. I was able to get the fittings to work for a P-trap to go into the current drain pipe (cast iron in the wall, behind lathe and plaster). However, we have also purchased a dishwasher which changes the drain situation again. The dishwasher will be placed across the path from the sink (on the opposite wall, only about 4-5 feet away).

The plan is to run an extended (maybe 12ft) drain hose from the dishwasher, under the floor (easily accessible), back up through the back wall, and into the sink drain system. I don't foresee a problem with the 12ft extension, but the main problem I'm faced with is how to get the dishwasher drain hose before the P-trap. The piece that attaches to the sink is very close to the actual P-trap, so it doesn't seem like there is space to add one of those Y-pieces for the drain hose.

Suggestions? I don't know my way around the plumbing options here very well, so any help is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Matt

2014-04-17 12.43.30.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Lower the fitting in the wall so that the trap will be low enough to accommodate a dishwasher tailpiece. For a deep sink the fitting in the wall should be 15-17" above the floor. This would also allow you to install a disposer in the future.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Yes, and you will also need a "captive nut dishwasher tailpiece" so you do not need a short piece between the tee and drain which would lower it again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks