plumbing Diagram/Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

FromParis

Reaction score
Hello,

my name is Olivier, I am a new member, and I am originally from Paris (really close).
I am in the process to remodel a bathroom but I need to know if what I am planning is actually right.

here is what I came up with (dealing with electrical wiring, heating system, joists, existing drainage connection...):

here is what I came up with (dealing with electrical wiring, heating system, joists, existing drainage connection...):

Plumbing 1.jpg

The question is very simple: is it OK?
My main issue is related to the venting system.
Is vent 2 necessary? And is vent 3 at the right place in order to vent the shower, or would it be better before the junction?

I am not sure I have made myself clear. I am really hoping that you will be able to help me, and let me know if I need to provide more information.

Thank you very much for your time, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Olivier

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Things are more dependent on how you actually make the connections. The shower trap must be vented before the connection to the shared drain line.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The stack vent is basically useless and revent #3 is also questionable. The shower is not vented, and if you install the drains for the sinks the way you have then drawn, then they will not be vented either.

FromParis

Reaction score
Things are more dependent on how you actually make the connections. The shower trap must be vented before the connection to the shared drain line.

First of all, thank you for the answer.
So, you mean something like this. I have to check if I can run a vent at the right angle (it has to be at least 45 degres right?) from there to the wall...I am not sure...

Plumbing 2.jpg

I am not sure what you mean by how actually I make the connection: Do you mean the fittins, the distance, angle...?

Attachments

• Plumbing 2.jpg
    Plumbing 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:

FromParis

Reaction score
The stack vent is basically useless and revent #3 is also questionable. The shower is not vented, and if you install the drains for the sinks the way you have then drawn, then they will not be vented either.

Thank you for answering me.
Actually, this is a bad drawing. It seems I attach right below the drain. It is not the case.
However, I do not really understand why the stack vent is useless. I was thinking that the toilet arm trap was short enough, and therefore that the toilet was vented by it.
Same thing, I wanted to attach the vents to the vent stack in the attic: that is not working?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the pipe from the toilet to the "Stack vent" is horizontal, which is not permitted. Eliminate it, use revent #3 for the toilet and install "revent #4 for the shower. Now, however, if this the only bathroom in the house, then you may have to comply with the minimum AREA of the vents through the roof, which could mean you would need more than 2 or 3 of them depending on their sizes. WE cannot tell you anything about #1 and #2, because we have no idea HOW you are going to install the piping for them.

FromParis

Reaction score
OK, I understand.
I m going to process your informations and see how I can make it work
I will post a better drawing later, with more details.

Thank you for taking the time.

Olivier

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks