Acrylic tub install

Users who are viewing this thread

how hard can it be

Reaction score
Hello Terry or anyone else who can help,

We are developing our basement, so we thought a bathroom down there would be a good idea.
The unit is an acrylic air jetted tub. The designer we are working with recommended not to use the alcove model, as there has been issuses with the flange mounting area with this brand.
So we ordered a drop-in unit. I looked at the post that J. Lung put up on 04/07/2011.
My concrete floor slopes almost 1/2" just where the tub sits so I had to pour self leveling concrete to get it level.
The tub bottom has three rails that it sets on, the designer has instructed me to put accousti-tec mat (I think thats what its called) under the tub. The mat is about 3/8" thick it is usually used under flooring, the idea is it will insulate the tub from the concrete and sound deaden the motor noise.
From J Lung's posting and replies, I understand that the tub will be held in place on the three walls but how the hack does the front side stay down?
I have contacted the manufacturer of the tub and they tell me that, the three rails must be fully supported along its length and that the flange or upper edge needs support as not to cause stess cracks along the top from flexing.

On a another issue, what is the right material to use on the waste-overflow units (I have ABS). I looked at the plumber's putty at the big box stores and it says not for plastic or pourous stone. Is acrylic not a type of plastic?
The young ones at the big box stores don't know and the old guys aren't plumbers, they are use to working on cast iron and stainless steel.
I asked the tub manufacturer but they were no help and there is nothing written in the install manual.
So here I am stalled until I can resolve these issues.
Hope you guys can help, James

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I understand that the tub will be held in place on the three walls but how the hack does the front side stay down?

You are using a "drop in tub" so it is NOT SUPPOSED to touch ANY walls. It is designed for a "ledge" all the way around it, which the tub rests on. IF you were going to install it against the walls, then you NEED an "alcove" model or add on tile flanges which are just another place for problems to occur. Use a "non staining plumber's putty".

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks