Pump system for house and livestock from 40 foot well

Users who are viewing this thread

andrewray

Reaction score
I live in Slovakia, but being American my English is a lot more proficient, so easier to ask this on an English speaking forum:

Our house is down in a valley with the back yard running up a hill into a field. There is a well next to the house that is 40 feet deep, with the water starting around 25 feet deep, and about 3 feet in diameter (hand dug perhaps a century ago and lined with stones!). The hill has a change in elevation of somewhere around 50 feet (I've measured using a GPS only, so it isn't very accurate, and topo maps don't tell me either). I will want to get water up that hill and a distance of at least 400 yards away to fill a water trough for 5-10 cows. Closer to the house, but some of it still up the hill and at most 100 yards from the well are different gardens where I want to be able to water, prefereably having enough pressure to run sprinklers, though I'll use a lot of drip irrigation for the gardens. I also want to use the well water for the house (probably not for drinking, because its nitrate level was above what is safe for children to drink, though I wonder if the water not being drawn from it in years makes a difference in that).

I know right now that there is an appreciable pressure loss from the municipal water supply going up the hill and 200 yards away through polypipe with an approximately 9/16" ID, such that using the common 6 position hose pistol on "jet" I can only get water to squirt about 4 feet. I am planning though with the pump to install polypipe with approximate 1" ID to minimize friction loss.

I have spent a lot of time studying what is on the market here. I haven't seen any of these CSV valves that reading on this forum enlightened me about, so maybe they aren't marketed in Europe. I am pretty much set on a 3-phase submersible pump with a 1.5hp motor that's made in a nearby city (everything, even the motor is made in the same factory) as its quality at a reasonable price and a design that's been around 50 years. It has a maximum head of 80m (260 feet) and delivers 40 liters per minute (10gpm) at 0 feet.

What I imagine doing is this:
Pipe from pump goes into laundry/utility room of house where the pressure tank will be. At the pressure tank is also the pressure switch and a "self cleaning filter". beyond that is a T where one side goes back outside and to the gardens, up the hill, etc. The other side goes through a pressure regulator and on to bathroom showers, washing machine, etc. To ensure that enough pressure goes up the hill, my thought is to set the pressure switch cut off pretty high (pump is theoretical max pressure around 125PSI, so maybe set the switch to cut off at 110 PSI) and cut in also higher than what actually goes to the in-house plumbing, which I would set the pressure regulator to keep at 40 PSI. All of the polypipe is rated to a pressure of 150PSI.

Is this a reasonable approach to solving the problem of getting water into the house and up the hill?

Then there is the pressure tank, and like everyone else I'd prefer smaller-- 40 gallon is still comfortable in my budget for all this (~ $200 for the tank).

You know, I just realized though that rather than speculating on the height of the hill, I can take a reading of water pressure at the house and then at the end of the polypipe I have now and the difference in that static pressure will basically equal the hill height.

Anyway, I just wonder if I'm going down the right track in my plans so far. Pretty much the only thing I feel really uncertain about is the sizing of the pressure tank. And is there any sort of reason not to have a start pressure of --say-- 50 PSI and cut off at 110 PSI? I found tables for drawdown factors, but none of them included such a large differential in pressure.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Going up a 50’ hill will only tank an additional 21 PSI. Then the friction loss through 1” poly at 10 GPM can be 2 PSI per 100’, which is 24 PSI for the 1200’. But at 5 GPM flow the friction loss won’t add 10 PSI. The most common pressure setting for a pressure switch is 40/60. So I would make this about 70/90 to make up for the elevation and friction loss. At 70/90 a pressure tank holds far less water than at 40/60, so I would use a minimum of an 80 gallon size pressure tank.

Your problem is that floats in a cattle trough, drip systems, and running fewer than 10 GPM worth of sprinklers will make your pump cycle on/off a lot, even with a large tank.

A Cycle Stop Valve works great for those things as it will make your pump match the usage, no matter if it is a drip system, just running one sprinkler, or a float valve taking a long time to top off the trough. The CSV eliminates cycling on/off and allows you to use a smaller tank. The 40 gallon tank would be plenty when used with a CSV, and you could even use a 20 gallon size tank no problem. The only reason I would not use the little 4.5 gallon tank with the CSV is because of the 70/90 pressure setting.

You don’t want to use much more than 20 PSI between on and off, as it will over stretch the bladder in the tank.

We ship Cycle Stop Valves all over the world. We have customers in the Philippines, New Zealand, England, Australia, Africa, Saudi Arabia, India, Trinidad, South America, just to name a few.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am pretty much set on a 3-phase submersible pump with a 1.5hp motor that's made in a nearby city (everything, even the motor is made in the same factory) as its quality at a reasonable price and a design that's been around 50 years. It has a maximum head of 80m (260 feet) and delivers 40 liters per minute (10gpm) at 0 feet.
Your pump description does not look right. For 10 GPM, I think you want something closer to 1/2 or 3/4 HP rather than 1.5 HP.
http://www.wellpumpsandfilters.com/Sizing-Well-Pumps_ep_41.html

Is electricity expensive there? I think it might typically run $0.12 /KWH or so in the US, and you might pay twice that. That could figure into your plans.

CSV is at its best for irrigation IMHO, but there is some increase in electricity use. The reduced cycling on the pressure tank for irrigation is a clear advantage for CSV. The better-matched your pump is to your irrigation load, the more efficient you will be.

Consider that you don't know how much water that well can supply. You might want to consider a device that cuts off the pump if the well can not keep up with demand. So before getting too far in your plans, you might want to be sure.

Another possibility is to have two pumps. Let the bigger one go on when the smaller one cannot keep up.

Anyway, I am not expert in this stuff, and I am just offering some things to consider while you continue your planning.

andrewray

Reaction score
Your pump description does not look right. For 10 GPM, I think you want something closer to 1/2 or 3/4 HP rather than 1.5 HP.

Is electricity expensive there? I think it might typically run $0.12 /KWH or so in the US, and you might pay twice that. That could figure into your plans.

Consider that you don't know how much water that well can supply.

Thanks both valveman and Reach4. All of this is good food for thought. I bought a 20€ "vibration pump" yesterday, precisely so I can see how quickly the well refills. If I remember the measurements I made of the well depth and circumference last year correctly, there should be more than 1000 gallons of water in the well. Tomorrow I am going to pump out 1 meter in depth of the water in the well (appx. 1000 liters) and see how long it takes to fill back up to the same height.

The type of pump I have been looking at is called a "progressive cavity pump". Its quite possible that it is only used in Czech Republic and Slovakia for wells, because I don't see this type of pump on any british or American well e-shops. The factory nearby doesn't have much documentation on the pump online, but I found a detailed manual in English on the website of another one of the 4 or 5 companies in Czech and Slovakia who manufacture essentially the same pump-- its really popular here! According to the manufacture, these type of pumps when used for pumping clean water have a service life of more than 50 years (assuming that they are protected from loosing one phase of the supply, running dry, etc.) The rubber part that seems most likely to wear out costs just 20€.

There is one producer of multi-stage pumps in Slovakia, using Franklin-Electric motors. Otherwise, it seems the other multi-stage pumps on the market are Chinese (it doesn't say explicitly, but that is my assumption, otherwise they'd advertise being made in Germany, Italy, etc...). So the question I don't know with them right now is their expected life, vs. the cost of electricity saved.

I measured today the pressure difference in the hose running up the hill, which is 2.3 bars which equals about 24 meters, and then the hill rises a bit more to, I guess, 27 meters total vertical change-- 88 feet-- plus 12 meters to the bottom of the well, so 39 meters -- 128 feet is the maximum height I need to push the water.

I may order a cycle stop valve and have it shipped to my mother to bring over when she visits us in the summer.

I realize I have a lot of research still to do.

Thanks to you both again for the advice/thoughts so far!

andrewray

Reaction score
I wonder why the progressive cavity pumps are so much used here for wells when it doesn't seem like they get used for that anywhere else?

Another thing I have thought of-- Since I'm running the water line up a hill with a vertical change of 27 meters, could I not build a smallish water tower (wood beam construction, 1000liter (220gal) tank) maybe 10 feet off the ground at the top of the hill? I'd add a bit of cost running a low voltage cable up there, but then it could just sense when the tank got down to 10% and turn on the pump to fill it up. One reason this could be advantageous is that we can have a two tariff electric meter such that during the night the price of electricity is lower. 0.15USD/kWh during the night, 0.24USD/kWh during the day. Though I guess such a tank would be susceptible to freezing in the winter.

andrewray

Reaction score
Oh, and the well supplies pretty good- I used the afore mentioned pump to pump about 1000 gallons of water from the well over 3 hours, and the level of water in the well dropped only 6 inches, when based on the dimensions of the well, if there was no inflow it should have dropped 5 feet or so. I would never be using this much water in a day.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks