Is this correct? Shower after toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Just proofing my work before I install. My main question here is if the shower downstream from the toilet is okay. It will connect via a wye directly to the stacks T. I'm not sure if those 2" count as wet venting or not.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 1.48.25 PM.png

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The drain from the lavs to the water closet wye should be 2", and because the lav vent is venting the water closet, it must be within the max distance specified by your code.
The shower trap will need to it's own vent before the connection to the horizontal line, or if the framing allows, you could use a sanitary tee with a side inlet on the stack.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Without a seperate vent for the shower, there is a substantial risk that the toilet will siphon the shower trap.

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe the 3" vent on the right is what is venting the toilet, not the lavs.

I also think the shower will not siphon. It's a wye that goes straight into the san T of the 3" vent. I would put it straight into the vent if I had room for two tees or could find a combo fitting that worked.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I believe the 3" vent on the right is what is venting the toilet, not the lavs.

I also think the shower will not siphon. It's a wye that goes straight into the san T of the 3" vent. I would put it straight into the vent if I had room for two tees or could find a combo fitting that worked.

I'm thinking that you will find that Cacher_Chick knows her profession.

And I'm thinking that you're not really understanding venting if you: (a) don't recognize that you need to vent that shower prior to the Y or, alternatively, connect it directly to the stack and (b) don't think the trap in the shower is going to siphon when the toilet flushes if you install it without the required vent.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm thinking that you will find that Cacher_Chick knows her profession.

And I'm thinking that you're not really understanding venting if you: (a) don't recognize that you need to vent that shower prior to the Y or, alternatively, connect it directly to the stack and (b) don't think the trap in the shower is going to siphon when the toilet flushes if you install it without the required vent.

The key here is distances and the code you are under. Under IPC everything is fine. The toilet doesn't need a local vent and if the vertical 3" is dry above the floor, it vents the shower just fine depending on trap to stack distance. Under other codes however, the distance from the toilet to vent may come into play and the shower would need its own vent. Unless your local code varies though, I believe that California will let you do that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I believe the 3" vent on the right is what is venting the toilet, not the lavs. I also think the shower will not siphon. It's a wye that goes straight into the san T of the 3" vent

In that case why did you ask for an opinion? BOTH of your "thinks" are wrong. The lavatory drain IS venting the toilet, (the 3" vent is inconsequential), and since the toilet is flowing PAST the shower connection, it can also induce siphonage. The 3" lav drain is "improper" unless you install a 3" cleanout on it. It may be allowed under the IPC, because the IPC is an "anything goes as long as it is easier and cheaper" code.

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
My apologies if my previous comments came off wrong. That was not my intent and I value everyone's opinion and expertise here tremendously.

My main problem I am having here is that the toilet is in the middle of a room and I can't access the wall behind it to vent because of a structural beam. The next nearest wall is 6' away. The main reason I wasn't considering the lavs as a vent is that they are roughly 10' away whereas the downstream vent is only 6'. Trust me that this is a nightmare scenario of structure/windows etc. I have very limited options.

Based on the comments I modified the previous layout which is preferred so I don't have to penetrate the top plate twice in a shear wall. Or Option 2 which splits the lava/shower and toilet into 2 separate lines.

Thank you again for all of your help I truly appreciate it.
Screen Shot 2014-04-17 at 9.42.09 AM.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks