Sterling Accord Install Trouble

Users who are viewing this thread

Jdon88

Reaction score
I'm installing my first bath tub and surround using the Sterling Accord after seeing Terry's info about them https://terrylove.com/forums/showth...rling-Accord-tub-shower-kits&highlight=accord.

Everything was going smooth until I was test fitting the surround. When trying to pivot the end wall into place it doesn't clear the Delta R1000 rough-in. I installed it per thin wall instructions where the front of the plasterguard will be in contact with the back of the end wall but the valve body sticks out too far. I'll have to move the rough in about 1 to 1.5" deeper into the wall cavity to get clearance or figure out another way to install the end wall. Any ideas? I tried to attach a picture.

tub.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
IF the wall is open on the back side, I prefer to do the rough In after the shower wall is in place. There is usually a quite a bit of tolerance in how far the valve handle will project into the shower, and IMO, it looks better set deeper rather than sticking out to the higher end of the specs.

Jdon88

Reaction score
Wall is not open on the back side and no access panel. I'd rather not move everything back an inch or so. I think I can get it to work by attaching the end wall to the back wall first then set into place on the tub. Its tough doing it without help. It works when I test fit them without the retaining clips in place. When I install it for real tomorrow I only get 1 shot at it, once the walls snap into the clips I don't think they can be removed easily.

SHR

Reaction score
I install a lot of the Sterling vikrell shower surrounds with Delta rough-in valves and always have to force the end panel in. Put the joining tab in the slot of the back panel and swing it in to position on the valve wall. It is a tight fit, but it has worked every time for me. The Accord does not snap in to the base tub, it sits on the tub. You will be able to remove it if necessary but I think you will be alright. On the plus side did you purchase the Accord model from Home Depot (they sell alot of that model)? If you do somehow manage to damage the panel, they will exchange it for you, no charge. Good luck.

Last edited:

Jdon88

Reaction score
Thanks SHR. I have plenty of room to swing it into position since the end wall opposite the valve is open right now. I plan to build the wall after getting the tub set in place. The accord I bought came with clips that attach to the tub, they are removable for test fitting. I bought the unit at a local plumbing supply, local HD does not stock them.

$33A5C66F2AE6935F.jpg

$24BA614A85BAF03A.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
accord_wild_07.jpg

When the hole is cut in the end panel, there should be room for the valve. How big do you precut the access for the tub/shower valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks