Stumped on venting situation

Users who are viewing this thread

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello all, long time lurker with my first post. I have a situation I have never run into. I can't figure out how to vent.

Corner bath with 7' windows on either side. There are structural steel posts at the ends of each window that I can't penetrate.

How do I vent this situation? It's a second floor and the joists run perpendicular to the tub. Ideas?

Screen Shot 2014-04-14 at 10.00.00 PM.png

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 1.5" trap arm can go 42" before the vent
A 2.0" trao arn can go 60" before the vent.

Do those windows go all the way to the floor?
An inspector like to see a horizontal vent 6" above the flood level of the tub.
When it meets other vents, it would need to be 6" above those vents. With a 36" countertop, that would be 42" from the floor.

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
A 1.5" trap arm can go 42" before the vent
A 2.0" trao arn can go 60" before the vent.

Do those windows go all the way to the floor?
An inspector like to see a horizontal vent 6" above the flood level of the tub.
When it meets other vents, it would need to be 6" above those vents. With a 36" countertop, that would be 42" from the floor.

the windows don't go to the floor but I can't penetrate the floor to ceiling posts at the end of the window so i can't go horizontal in that space. the shortest run to vertical (from beneath) because of the window size is 6'6".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
When I have been in that situation, I have used an "island waste yoke vent" system. The "yoke" would be in the wall under the windows, and the "vertical vent" would be outside the steel posts.

whackit

In the Trades
Reaction score
When I have been in that situation, I have used an "island waste yoke vent" system. The "yoke" would be in the wall under the windows, and the "vertical vent" would be outside the steel posts.

That was my first idea. Inspector said he wouldn't allow it because windows go to same level as tub, putting loop below rim (after sill plate etc).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Well, the return bend would still be above the tub's overflow, and if the tub had to be full before it started draining, you would have a good indication that something was wrong. AND, when an island vent is used, there is seldom a way to have the return bend above the countertop, and a sink does not even have an overflow. So if he allows it for a sink your tub should be a slam dunk.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks